Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to do some noise dampening (adding adhesive tar/bitumen tiles)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Many thanks!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    @ Mitz:

When you are finished, how about telling us about how you did it, if anything is missing or wrong in the write-up, and what level of noise reduction you notice.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Bitumen tiles don't seem to be readily available here (certainly not on eBay).

What I can get is something like dbkill (.com.au).

"Constructions is a layer of aluminium with a viscoelastic damping layer (not tar based) backed with a pressure sensitive adhesive layer ... The total thickness of a sheet is 1.2mm with the foil component about 2mm thick ... 3kg per square meter (/yard)"

My questions are:

If it's a different material as I described, is it possible/probable that the type of material can reduce drumming as much as bitumen for the same coverage even though it's lighter?

If I did use it, would I need to use more of it/double layer it since it's only 3kg per square metre?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Hi buzz, I almost positive you can get the stuff in Oz. Maybe they sell it under some unexpected name, like biro instead of ballpoint, or Bex instead of Aspro? I'm an expat Oz myself.
    The stuff I used was 5kg per square meter, and although you can bend it, it is pretty stiff.
    If you want to use the lighter stuff, check if it at least has reasonable stiffness. Then you would need to cover a higher percentage, maybe 30% of the sheet metal. That should get you good results.
    Anyhow, I really think either bitumen or bitumen/cardboard based self-adhesive tiles should be available down under. Unfortunately, I dont remember what they called the stuff in Oz when I lived there.
    Last edited by foama; 04-28-2020 at 11:56 AM.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply foama. We call bitumen either bitumen or occasionally tar (the same stuff as they use to make roads, right?).
    Here's what eBay gives me for "bitumen tiles":

(0 results ... tar is no better)

Use of bitumen for sound deadening seems frowned upon here because it supposedly melts/smells in summer although I don't know how much truth there is to that claim. It'd be good if anyone can shed some light here (we get 45 degree celsius days here over summer) - what's the "melting point" of bitumen?

I'm going to start recording current noise levels in the car at different speeds and on different surfaces, and will do the same again once I figure out which deadener to use and install it.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Buzz, I'm Australian and the product to use here is on this web page... I'm planning on doing all three stages... And it will only cost me a day labour, and $160 :-)

I'm just dreading pulling out the entire interior....

http://www.carbuilders.com.au/sound-...stomer-reviews

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Thanks for the reply foama. We call bitumen either bitumen or occasionally tar (the same stuff as they use to make roads, right?).
    Here's what eBay gives me for "bitumen tiles":

Use of bitumen for sound deadening seems frowned upon here because it supposedly melts/smells in summer although I don't know how much truth there is to that claim. It'd be good if anyone can shed some light here (we get 45 degree celsius days here over summer) - what's the "melting point" of bitumen?

I'm going to start recording current noise levels in the car at different speeds and on different surfaces, and will do the same again once I figure out which deadener to use and install it.
    In US you can buy non-bitumen product with self glue backing which works well for soundproofing. Seal&Peal, $16 for roll in Lowe's and home depot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    Hi Buzz, I'm Australian and the product to use here is on this web page... I'm planning on doing all three stages... And it will only cost me a day labour, and $160 :-)

I'm just dreading pulling out the entire interior....

http://www.carbuilders.com.au/sound-...stomer-reviews
    Yeah, that’s the stuff!
    Its about three times as expensive per square meter, and the sheets need to be cut to economical size, but it should be allright.