Thread: Want colder a/c ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Want colder a/c ?

My white es with super dark tinted windows was not as cold as my 02 insight. Factory recommends 9.2 oz of freon. So being the dummy I am I put 6 more ounces in the system. ...wa-la much colder! Low side pressure is at 48lbs. When I hooked the gauges up it was at 50lbs. before I added freon. Maybe it was just low to begin with.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    R134a is not Freon. Freon is what Dupont called R-12 back in the day. It's just refrigerant.

This sounds like a bad idea without knowing the factory fill amount. 6 more ounces is huge. Even if the system was low, if it's overfilled and the compressor fails you may have some fun with your warranty. This is definitely not something others should be trying on here without some hard evidence of the factory fill amounts and compressor capabilities.
    I don't own one yet.

Thanks
    Proper way is to remove the remaining "freon", weigh it and make sure the fill is the correct amount.

How do you now approach the dealer service department about fixing the leak?

ASSuming there is a leak.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I dont think I had a leak , I would think that it did not have enough refrigerant in it to start with.

Thanks
    It's possible it could be an incomplete fill, but I would bet on an assembly line, it would be charged quickly and precisely.

In order to properly diagnose the problem, you need to know how much was in the system. Then either fix it, or add some as you have done, which could also fix it.

You are looking for.
    Stabilized system pressure relative to ambient temperature and humidity.
    System pressures within specs under load (operating)
    Vent exit air temperature under specific conditions, again relative to ambient temperatures and humidity.

If it does not pass these tests then extract and weight the fluid to see if it is the proper amount.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In fact one of the symptoms of a refrigerant leak is the AC starts to blow colder.....the coils ice up! Weird but true.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)