Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter / snow tires for the 2014 Mirage

Winter / snow tires for the 2014 Mirage

OK, some of you members in southeast Asia may laugh at the topic of this thread...

But we have a small problem here in Canada and parts of the U.S. for a few months of the year called WINTER:

(Bonus points for anyone who can identify this car!)

The second small problem is the Mirage's 165/65R14 factory tire. As of right now, it's going to be difficult/impossible to get a snow tire in that exact size.

One of the biggest U.S. tire web sites -- http://www.tirerack.com -- currently shows ZERO snow tires available in that size. (Though if you go up a size in width or aspect ratio, you can find options.)

I suspect European owners won't have this problem, since there are many more small cars on the road and lots more choice in the 14 inch size. That size has been disappearing rather quickly from the U.S. & Canada though. Most entry level cars are coming with 15 inch tires these days.

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

(Bonus points for anyone who can identify this car!)

I know, I know! But, it did take me two tries...

This winter tire conundrum can't be new. Mitsu wouldn't use an odd size tire just to make our lives difficult.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    wow. snow.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    http://1010tires.com/Tires/165-65R14

I always put winter tires on their own cheap rims, too, so that should give more options. Somewhere on the above site is a calculator that shows the actual difference between different sizes, and what would be a suitable alternative.

Here it is, and some other sizes that might work:
    http://1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size...0R15/175-55R15

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-07-2013)

Unfortunately, the 3 options in that size on 1010tire come up: "SOLD OUT", "Temporarily Unavailable", and "Call for availability".

I expect this will change as soon as the car hits our shores though. Particularly with Quebec's mandatory winter tire law, and the expected popularity of the Mirage in la Belle Province.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I expect this will change as soon as the car hits our shores though. Particularly with Quebec's mandatory winter tire law, and the expected popularity of the Mirage in la Belle Province.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I also believe that this car, if successful, will inspire other car makers to bring their "global small cars" to Canada. It seems to me that Canadian driving is assumed to be exactly the same as in the USA, but given our lower speed limits/slower driving, less horsepower is required to go with the flow. Nissan has a new Versa that looks just like the Honda Fit, to my eye.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "(Bonus points for anyone who can identify this car!)"

This has been bothering me. I will think of it

"(Bonus points for anyone who can identify this car!)"

Click here to see the answer to the bonus question:

Update: Mitsu Canada has promised that winter tires will be available in the correct size here this winter.

One Quebec dealer is already advertising that a set of winter tires is included with the purchase of a new Mirage.

Winter tires are actually mandatory in the province of Quebec (between Dec. 15 and March 15), where Mitsu expects to sell the most Mirages.