Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weird issue - acceleration stopped at 3500RPM

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by db1980 View Post
    So just an update, as soon as I replaced the stock bulbs the warning lights went off, even though it took a day or two for them to turn on. No need for a trip to the dealer to clear anything.
    Ok thanks! I was wrong on that then! Glad the lights went out by them selves for you!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    Ok thanks! I was wrong on that then! Glad the lights went out by them selves for you!
    Believe me, me too!

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    Hi 3dplane, I am having similar issues with my 2015 mirage. I recently replace a burnt out bulb, right side with a cheap bulb, when i started experiencing limp mode, during drive home at night (only experience this at night). I have a manual transmission unit but experience the same symptoms described by db1990, during traffic it would go on limp mode (2000 rpm under load, even if your floor gas pedal). Instead of keying off... I would stop put the car in neutral and rev it up (with out load it is able to go above 2000 rpm). Turn off engine lights/AC/radio other accessories not needed and put it in gear. It would then function normally. I've experienced this 3 times now everytime I go home.

Other symptoms experienced:

1. Large draw of electrical current causing rpm to go below... 500 but not stalling...
    2. Flickering lights and accessories (noticeable in the radio during day trips to the office dims when braking and lighten up when accelerating...

This morning went to the dealer to get oem bulb tail lights, and peanut bulbs for the headlights and installed them. Drove to the office with all lights, accessories on but did not experience limp mode... Still observing car's behavior but so far everything seems to work. Thanks for this very useful tip. Crossing fingers it wont go into limp mode tonight...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to neville For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    A given socket can take bulbs of various watts & brightness - thus the bulb type matters. It is too easy to install a bulb that is either brighter or dimmer than the original.

Wikipedia has an entry describing this, and it lists such things as the type of cap (base) used by the bulb, the voltage & wattage, and the number of filaments. Several bulbs can have the same cap and fit into the socket, but have the wrong wattage and cause problems. Obviously, older cars didn't have the circuitry to sense this change in current draw.

Wikipedia:List of automotive light bulb types

The Mirage manual lists what type bulbs are used for various functions. Make sure the bulb installed is the type called for at whatever location.

Or experiment with different bulbs and post results here for us all to learn from!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (08-15-2017)

Welcome to the forum, neville.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)