Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird issue - acceleration stopped at 3500RPM

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Weird issue - acceleration stopped at 3500RPM

2014 Mirage ES, manual. 19,000 miles

Driving to work today (night), really wet out. After making a turn near work, I was accelerating up through the gears, and the car just stopped accelerating at 3500rpm. No flashing lights, not misfiring, just sort of acted like I had stopped pushing on the accelerator at that point. Nothing I did with the gas pedal seemed to make a difference. It was almost like the drive-by-wire hit a rev limiter or the traction control turned on or something like that. 15 seconds later it was fine.

I did replace the rear brake/taillights with LED bulbs today, but I am not sure how that would have any effect on this.. they use less current after all so they SHOULD make things easier on the car if anything. The headlights didn't dim, really no indication of any sort of problem at all except it just decided it wasn't going to accelerate.

I'm a bit worried about this. If this happened trying to get onto an interstate highway, this could be very dangerous. Anyone experience anything similar?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No, I've never had that happen to me. It sounds like a computer malfunction . For a split sec. You might whant to take it to the Mitsubishi dealer and have them ck it out .
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Problem is, last time I tried to take the car in for a warranty repair for an intermittent issue (TPMS light flashing indicating system failure), all that was accomplished was I wasted several hours of my time. I have a feeling that if there were no codes stored (and I have a feeling there weren't since there was no check engine light when this was happening), and if I can't reproduce it, I may be in for another exercise in futility. I guess I am just venting a bit, but I would rather have things just quit working completely than having these weird phantom issues. Its sort of getting on my nerves on a car that I otherwise love.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It sounds like the computer has given you "limp mode" because it thinks something is wrong. Shutting the car off for a few minutes will sometimes reset the computer. A code will be stored that the dealer can read/reset or you can do it yourself with an OBDII reader such as a Scangauge. As strange as it sounds, you may have to put the old bulbs back to see if that is the source of the problem. Perhaps the computer expects a larger current draw from those bulbs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If it happens tomorrow I will swap the bulbs back out, if it happens beyond that I guess I have to deal with the dealer. When the car goes limp home mode, isn't the check engine light supposed to be doing something?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You might run your scenario by a mechanic at your dealership who works on the electrical systems to see if they think the problem could be the new LED bulbs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cchataway View Post
    You might run your scenario by a mechanic at your dealership who works on the electrical systems to see if they think the problem could be the new LED bulbs.
    I have no faith in dealership mechanics. At least not the ones in the area I live in. They can't even seem to do an oil change correctly... I have never had to mutilate an oil filter so bad to remove it from a vehicle... and the "solutions" they gave me for the TPMS issue were a joke. They seem to just hire whomever will work for the lowest wages. If I give them that sort of out, I would be willing to bet money they will throw the blame at the bulbs since that's the easiest out for them. That's why I try to go in there with a good idea of the problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mirage will not tolerate LED tail lights!
    Your ABS and traction light will come on soon with brake switch circuit codes if you leave the LEDs in.
    Mine did the same over a year ago. Put the factory bulbs back in.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    The Mirage will not tolerate LED tail lights!
    Your ABS and traction light will come on soon with brake switch circuit codes if you leave the LEDs in.
    Mine did the same over a year ago. Put the factory bulbs back in.
    This is pretty interesting. Anyone have any idea why this is the case? I will pull them though as next troubleshooting step if it happens again like I said. Will keep everyone updated.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    3dplane, wasn't there a post where someone put a diode of something like that in line and that solved the issue?