Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: fastest speed achieved

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    92mph in neutral w/CVT down a long steep hill

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I forgot coasting down hill, that's how you keep your fuel economy good while still achieving what feels like light-speed!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GrnBn For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-15-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've gotten my mirage up to 180kph, its electronically limited to that speed. the mirage doesn't really have trouble hitting that speed, just takes a lil bit of road to do it in

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    150kph.. i think getting it upto 180 would take like another half minute or so.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    My Space Star 1.2 did 184 kph (GPS) today on a flat road in 4th gear (6300 rpm, 189 kph on the odometer). In 5th gear it is a little bit slower (Autobahn driving to the Bavarian Forest for vacation).

But fuel consumption is far over 10 l/100 km when driving so fast. After 165 kilometers, average fuel consumption was 5.0 l/100 km, but I only drove about 40 kilometers as fast as it was possible with all the traffic.

The brakes are really not good enough for such speeds. I had to brake down to 100 kph two times and it was no fun.

But after more than 30000 kilometers of driving slower than 100 kph and almost never driving with more than 3000 rpm, the car reached the topspeed really fast. I really want to do a downhill test some day .

And the performance perfectly fits with my driving performance diagrams .
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got a class A license. 5 mph over the limit is the most I will do. You semi professional drivers enjoy yourselves, but try not to kill anyone else while you're having "fun".

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I must agree as I'm in a similar place. Lately, I've slowed down my driving a lot. I used to drive hard & fast.

For a very long time I had at least one speeding ticket on my driving record. Within two weeks of getting my license, I got a speeding ticket (my school was off for a holiday but a local parochial school was not, and I got caught doing 35 in a 20 mph speed zone.) For many years, I would get another speeding ticket around the time that the points of the prior one would come off my record.

One day, a co-worker said a local town would not let him pay his speeding ticket and had to appear in front of their judge. In the courtroom, when he tried to explain that he wanted to pay his fine and be on his way the judge snapped at him, saying 'you are a habitual speeder. One more ticket, and I will suspend your license.' That got my attention because we both needed our driver's license for our jobs. Essentially, no license, no job.

Several other factors contributed. The company put a 'How's My Driving?' phone number on their vehicles. I would get called on if someone else was simply having a bad day and wanted to vent. Side note: I now call those numbers to compliment good drivers.

About that time I enrolled in a SCCA driving school at a nearby race track. That was loads of fun until I got sideways at 75mph. Luckily I straightened things out but a lot of thoughts went through my head at that moment. Sure am glad that happened on a track. It was a very fun and educational experience.

Now I'm a father, and I don't want my family to get hurt, especially over what is essentially a poor decision that could be easily avoided.

I'm tired of impatient jerks on the road and wish aggressive drivers would only see the effects of their behaviors. Most don't because their ego has taken over.

Speeders will eventually get their due rewards. Reckless driving increases the odds of causing an accident. Reckless driving on public roads increases the possibility of hurting others.

Anymore, if I want to drive hard & fast it is best done on a race track away from others who want to get to their destination safely. I'll ask the same courtesy from others: Please feel free to endanger your own life. Just don't endanger me or my family.

I'm sorry to sound so preachy. I really don't mean to sound overbearing with control issues. I still fall victim to those old habits. Inattentive driving is one thing. Aggressive driving is worse.

Be safe out there.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-28-2016 at 01:15 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BillThompsonMirage-ES-CVT (05-28-2016),ed100 (05-28-2016),flatbroke (05-28-2016),Fummins (12-26-2020),Gatsby (05-28-2016),wellswebdesign (05-31-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman, great post!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    About 110 on a long flat road. Little to no wind so no unnecessary drag.

And yeah the Eco light lifts off at 80, which is too bad because that's usually how I'm traveling on my 3 hour ventures.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by upflyer View Post
    I'm just curious what the fastest speed you all ever driven your mirage .

The Speedo says 140 so how close have you come to that ?
    I will not say where I've gone up to speed... But the closest I've ever got was a 100mph... Once or twice 95+mph... I'm pretty sure the electronic limiter stops at 112mph... Kind of funny how they have it go up to 140 mph lol.

Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles