Thread: Review 2015 1.0 CVT

Country
    Curacao
    Thanks

Review 2015 1.0 CVT

Hi all,

I have a 2015 1.0 CVT Mirage since I am the only one on the forum with this setup I will tell my experiences with this car after 4000 kilometers. The engine is quick enough and you can not much tell the diffirence with 1.2 in terms of power. Only when you want to leave a parkingspot the gas isnt that resposive like a 1.2 and it feels a bit slow and laggy.

The fuel economy is good on the highway and in the city it is decent but the fuel gauge gets very early on empty when the last block starts to blink there is almost 15 liters left in the tank. The electronic gas is a bit something to get used off if it is new to you.

I am happy with the Mirage but as a used to own a european Colt an 2010 model with 1.3 engine I think that car was more enjoyble to drive with its 4 cylinder engine, but the Mirage is more comfortble ride than the Colt.

Pro's overall for the Mirage:
    Comfortable ride
    Luxury with alot of gadgets
    Fuel economy
    Steering is way better then previous models
    Scratch resistant interior

Cons:
    Only one remote key
    Both front seats doenst easily click when you change the seating position only after several meters
    Fuel gauge gets early on empty while there is a lot of petrol left
    Piano look covers in interior is very dust attracted and gets easily dirty
    No plastic cover at the foot rest for the automatics

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emerald Green For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-05-2015),debburyl (07-05-2015),MetroMPG (07-05-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the quick review!

I would really enjoy trying out the 1.0L.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks for the review! This is indeed a rare drivetrain.

Steering is way better then previous models
    Better than previous Space Stars? How so? I'm not a fan of the Mirage's steering myself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I didn´t know there is a 1.0 CVT version at all, but in the netherlands it is the version with the best fuel economy (3.9 l/100 km over all), too. 0-100 km/h in about 15 seconds and 166 km/h top speed should also be enough for city driving.

I think this version is not mentioned in all the drivetrain tables, so this would be a reason for updating some threads.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Thanks for the review! This is indeed a rare drivetrain.

Better than previous Space Stars? How so? I'm not a fan of the Mirage's steering myself.
    I can tell you from first hand experience, without proper wheel alignment no steering box or geometry is going to make me happy.

I would also bet many of the negative reviews would have been much different if they had driven one that was right (alignment wise).

I can check it roughly in less than a minute with a piece of pipe.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Curacao
    Thanks
    @Metrompg: I meant the steering has improved a lot better than the previous model years, its a bit more direct.

@25plus: It is weird that this drivetrain is currently only available in the Netherlands. It should come to Germany and other European countrys too. But yeah the prices for a 1.2 cvt are already low in the most countrys. In Japan the 1.0 is the only drivetrain.

The main reason there brought this engine to the Netherlands is because tax changes made small cars and especially the 1.2 CVT very expensive here.

I also used to own a same Cuore as you had but an 5 door version. I like that car a lot but it gave a few problems. That engine was perfect for city driving.

But to be honest if I had to choose another car I would choose the new Fit/Jazz if they gave me a good trade in. But for now I am Happy with the Space Star/Mirage.
    Last edited by Emerald Green; 07-05-2015 at 02:26 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After driving my new 1.2L Mirage around for a few hundred miles, I think I'd be fine with an even smaller engine. The 1.0L still accelerates faster than my old VW bus.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 42.1 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Curacao
    Thanks
    @DWB: The 1.2 engine is the better engine for the Mirage. The 1.0 is just fine and sometimes slow maybe with a manual transmission is drives more enjoyble. If I had to choose between the 1.0 and 1.2 I would blindly choose the 1.2 but it is very expensive now in my country for the same money you can buy a Fit or Mazda 2. One thing with the 1.0 that is damn good is the fuel economy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I could sacrifice some enjoyment for even more economy.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the 1.2. It has more power than I'd generally need, but gets excellent economy figures, especially compared to the other vehicles on the roads over here. Although my lead-foot wife tends to get much less out of a liter of gas than I do.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 42.1 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.5 mpg (Imp)