Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best oil for 3A92/3A90

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    I just grab Mobil 1 on sale at $4.40 a quart. 3 changes with 10 quarts. Nice quality synthetic oil, extended life filter. About $25 for the oil changes. I'll do them myself and carry the used oil to my old shop where they burn it in a waste oil heater in winter.

regards
    mech
    +1. I drop off the old oil at the local AutoZone.

Depending on the vehicle, I've always used either Mobil 1 or Castrol. I've pretty much used every brand of oil filter out there as well. Never had a problem. I've had cars with over 200k and motorcycles with over 40k. Sold to friends and still running great. All I do is follow the maintenance schedule.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Bump.

It has been requested that I post here, in that I have extensive, personal-experience-based knowledge that many of you might find to be useful.

I have been a delivery driver subcontractor, using my own vehicle for many years. To wit, I drive 90k miles per year, 80% highway, 20% streets.

I have used very thin motor oils, in 4 cylinder hatchbacks, for over 250,000 miles, since 2012. Here are my results, observations, and opinion.

Eneos Sustina 0W20 Viscosity Index 229. Highly refined Group III Synthetic with low dose polymers. NOACK ~11. $12-$15/qt. 60k mi total. OCI 10-15-17-20k miles. UOA (used oil analysis) showed confidence-inducing numbers. Wear metals. Flash point. Etc. Of note, Sustina showed oxidative thickening at 17-20k miles. Be careful if you go beyond 15k mile OCI.

Ravenol EFE 0W16. High ester Group IV Synthetic. 2x Mobil 1 dose of potent Moly. $15/qt. NOACK ~10. 60k mile total.15Kmile OCI. No UOAs needed.

Citgo Supergard Full Synthetic 0W16. Basic Group III with standard additive package. $4/qt. NOACK ~14. 120k miles total. 10k mile OCI. UOA shows an adequate, unstrained motor oil.

Three differently designed motor oils, a Japanese style, a European style, and an economy style, ultra thin motor oil delivered similar results. They held up nicely, provide 3 mpg fuel economy improvements, and gave noticeably better performance per butt dyno.

In conclusion, I can state with confidence that 0W16 would work beautifully in your Mitsubishi.

Thank you.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to viscositosis tribocessive For This Useful Post:

alex16 (06-08-2017),alvinkiang (08-05-2017),Eggman (06-08-2017)