Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: VW lowering springs + Rear sway bar review

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by f0k4l View Post
    This is why I went with them. Especially because people were reporting struts blowing out due to extra strain placed on them with the greater travel required with shorter springs.
    actually shorter/stiffer springs reduce travel.

OEM shocks are crap. You can get by w/o changing fronts but rears gotta go.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

f0k4l (08-28-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just wanted to point out that the lower coils are completely bound in this photo, effectively making them a solid piece of metal (i.e., a spacer & not a spring), not really a useful application.

This is buttressed by the calculations 91cavgt did for these springs and their load in your Mirage. Clearly this set-up works, you have reported it functions to your liking, and have indicated continued use; however, I would advise against others repeating it - it is not a 'sorted-out' application.

Attachment 3849
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Minihaha For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (08-28-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ The reason behind that is because those are supposed to be for the rear, which I can only imagine is to stop the body from bottoming out?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    ^ The reason behind that is because those are supposed to be for the rear, which I can only imagine is to stop the body from bottoming out?
    +1

Looks like there will be not enough negative travel

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Those coils are dual rate(progressive rate) coils. There are a softer set of coils for comfort, and then on the same spring, there are a few stiff coils for better handling. In this scenario, the softer coils are compressed together due to the weight which leaves the typically stiffer coils to support the weight.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just had a thought on swapping the f and r springs. While the weight calculations were made, I didn't see the weight of the passengers for the vw rear springs put up front considered. The fact is, the rear springs on the vw can probably take more load, if not just as much as the front springs. With that said, I think, the only difference now is the spring rate. If it matters to the owner which is stiffer, f or r.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    Those coils are dual rate(progressive rate) coils. There are a softer set of coils for comfort, and then on the same spring, there are a few stiff coils for better handling. In this scenario, the softer coils are compressed together due to the weight which leaves the typically stiffer coils to support the weight.
    That is only true if springs were not compressed to fit in. If springs are held by shock then no

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just bought the 175lb/200lb springs from Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-Mirage-Suspension-Lowering-Spring/dp/B00QLTTPNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440698356&sr=8-1&keywords=2014+Mitsubishi+Mirage+springs

Look at the review and notice how flat the car sits with these installed? I prefer the rear up in the air slightly. I'm getting 0.5" metal or poly spring spacers for the front, and 0.75" spacers for the rear so that strut/shock integrity will be minimally compromised while still giving a better stance and far stiffer and improved ride. Like this...

Name:  Spring w Spacer.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  36.3 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The softer springs are bound together because I had to compress them to fit in the front assembly. So they were like that before I installed them and the weight of the car on them. Visited San Antonio yesterday, round trip of 316+ miles, springs were fantastic. Traveled on some roads had I been stock I would of been uncomfortable for sure. Been a week now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlestan View Post
    Just bought the 175lb/200lb springs from Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-Mirage-Suspension-Lowering-Spring/dp/B00QLTTPNW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440698356&sr=8-1&keywords=2014+Mitsubishi+Mirage+springs

Look at the review and notice how flat the car sits with these installed? I prefer the rear up in the air slightly. I'm getting 0.5" metal or poly spring spacers for the front, and 0.75" spacers for the rear so that strut/shock integrity will be minimally compromised while still giving a better stance and far stiffer and improved ride. Like this...

Name:  Spring w Spacer.jpg
Views: 1312
Size:  36.3 KB
    Let us know what you think of them when you drop them in. I've looked at them and then finding better rear shocks but ultimately we decided to go with TEINs.