Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: VW lowering springs + Rear sway bar review

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    How did you installed them? did you put the brackets on outside and insert between the coils?

I tried them both ways on cars I have owned in the past. Both clamping down 2 coils and spreading 2 coils apart.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gunlak View Post
    found this neat info in our facebook group whereas a fellow filipino based on thailand made various test fits on what spring / shock combo will fit and be stiffer than stock.

they used rear springs from a 2006 Honda Fit / Jazz.
    optional is rear shocks from a 2007 Yaris / Vios. but this made the ride super stiff. the springs would do just fine.

though the ride height would increase about 1" on the rears

Attachment 4944
    Attachment 4945
    Attachment 4946

So do the front springs from 2006 Honda Jazz fit also? Or just the rear?

If they do fit, I will most likely buy a lowering spring set for the 2006 Honda Jazz/Fit and see how it works out on my Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    I tried them both ways on cars I have owned in the past. Both clamping down 2 coils and spreading 2 coils apart.
    what I meant is that if you clamping it down you should put something btw coils to keep it fixed from both sides.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by f0k4l View Post
    This is why I went with them. Especially because people were reporting struts blowing out due to extra strain placed on them with the greater travel required with shorter springs.
    I did what dk04l did by using the rear springs in the front. Wxcept i also purchased a second set of springs and uswd the rears for the rear. Basically i bought 4 front and 4 rear springs for about 90 dollars and i only used the 4 rear springs on the front and rear of the mirage. The ride is much better than with only the rear yellow springs on the rear. The front now feels stiffer and more planted without that weird rocking sensation from being too soft. You do need to mount the aftermarket yellow springs like how f4okl mounted them with the tighter coils on the bottom to clear the front shock tophat better.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry for the old-thread-bump.

Has anyone used these? I'm interested but want to see how they look first and get first impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by a17322a View Post
    I did what dk04l did by using the rear springs in the front. Wxcept i also purchased a second set of springs and uswd the rears for the rear. Basically i bought 4 front and 4 rear springs for about 90 dollars and i only used the 4 rear springs on the front and rear of the mirage. The ride is much better than with only the rear yellow springs on the rear. The front now feels stiffer and more planted without that weird rocking sensation from being too soft. You do need to mount the aftermarket yellow springs like how f4okl mounted them with the tighter coils on the bottom to clear the front shock tophat better.
    Can you post a pic of your mirage. Did the front lift a little with the springs?

Being on for about 50k miles, the rear springs don't feel as stiff as they were - naturally.
    I think this would be a good time to move my current rear VW springs up front and purchase another set to put on the rear to stiffen the rear back up.

Banned
    Country
    Aruba
    Thanks
    Could you link me those front springs? I raised my rear and need those lol.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    ok, with a trailer I decided I need better springs but don't know what to do
    VW beetle lowering springs seem to provide the stiffness needed but does the car get lowered?

what about these I found on Amazon? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...FAGFYLOW&psc=1

they drop the car 30mm all around but are progressive

FINALLY, I want to go with 185/55/15 on Konig heliums. Do I need to raise the body? will those wheels still fit with the springs from amazon?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-11-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    ok, with a trailer I decided I need better springs but don't know what to do
    VW beetle lowering springs seem to provide the stiffness needed but does the car get lowered?

what about these I found on Amazon? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...FAGFYLOW&psc=1

they drop the car 30mm all around but are progressive

FINALLY, I want to go with 185/55/15 on Konig heliums. Do I need to raise the body? will those wheels still fit with the springs from amazon?
    The VW "lowering springs" lower bugs but does not lower mirages. See the pic in the post below. I was caught staring at my mirage recently (from the rear driver angle) and it just looks SO good with my wheel and tire setup. :drool:
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post30116

Reason why VW springs were worth it was because of price. At the time, I think they were 100$ or so. Not sure if you can find VW Bug lowering springs at those prices anymore.

FWIW, those lowering springs are thebomb.com as it nicely stiffens the rear.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well I ordered the 30mm lowering springs from Amazon primarily because they are progressive, it's all 4, I can use a better ride and handling. My only concern is being stuck with smaller diameter tires because of the lowering.

I just hope to hell they don't sag when I drop the trailer on the back, I rarely run more than 50 lb. tongue weight but I've been known to use my aluminum carrier then toss a 200 lb. snowblower on it. Ya ya, insane tongue weight as it's like a lever behind the rear axle but I there are people who might just be going crazy loading heavy stuff in the luggage area which is sorta behind the rear axle. An associate of mine was loading, I'd guess, 400-550+ lbs. lead in the "trunk". His car, a 2014, would squat like crazy and he said he could not do this if he was planning on driving at night, the aim of his headlamps was way off.

Maybe I should have waited till spring to order these things but have you noticed Amazon is suddenly full of "we don't know yada yadda next available" So I'd rather have something I could toss on my other Mirage as opposed to missing out altogether.

I did see Beetle lowering springs but something about them seemed off. I guess I can try them if the above springs wash out.

Next project, TIG up a torsion bar for the rear. I have a funny feeling the material choices used to date are the reason for the failures. I suspect 4130 chrome moly properly welded will do the job. Even if it doesn't I can always try again.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)