Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from new zealand

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks

Hello from new zealand

I ordered my new blue GLS Mirage at the end of February and are expecting it any day now. Price and standard features as well as generally favourable reports in the press persuaded me to have a test drive. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it drove with three adults aboard - its no sports car in the handling department [I have an MX5 which I've driven 200,000+km to satisfy my sports car urge!!] but felt comfortable and nimble with a great turning circle. We also own a Mitsi Outlander for when a larger vehicle for towing or bulky goods need to be moved.
    The only options I've added are the armrest console and scuff plates.
    Our situation is different to most as we live in a rural area about 35km from our closest town and I often have trips away which can be anything from 200km-1700km travelling distance. Also traffic jams do not feature in this area of NZ [the very north of the country]. I'm looking forward to seeing what the fuel economy will be like.
    A couple of features we miss out on which I would have liked are auto wipers and lights and push button starting.
    Thats me for now - just waiting for the call from local Mitsubishi agent.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 46.8 mpg (US) ... 19.9 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.2 mpg (Imp)

Funny... I think you are the second member who also had a Miata/MX5. Will the Mirage be replacing that car?

I'm curious if you would have ordered the manual shift if you could have. (I found it a little odd that Mitsu doesn't give you the option in New Zealand.)

The good news is the automatic is rated as good as the manual in terms of fuel economy ... sometimes even better. And it sounds like you have pretty optimal conditions for getting great mileage. I'm sure you've seen some of the threads about the ecodriving contests that show what the car is capable of in that department.

Welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Hi MetoMPG,
    Thanks for the welcome. The Mirage will not be replacing the MX5 but it will be taking over most of our motoring. My partner prefers automatics so we would have purchased this option anyway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 46.8 mpg (US) ... 19.9 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Welcome CLARK great to have you here, Hope you get the car soon. Please let us know how you get on with the car.

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Welcome Clark..
    What part of NZ are you from ? I heard from friends it's a beatiful country there. They told me between Miliford - Christchurch is very scenic ..hope to go there when my budget affords...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site and congrats on the almost-there car! Make sure to snap some pictures and share when you get it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Any news on your new Mirage yet, Clark?

And I am curious: would you have chosen the 5-speed transmission if it were available?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Collecting my new Mirage tomorrow - has been in the dealers showroom for a week. I've already checked it out and am pleased with my color choice. The salesman tells me that others are also showing interest in it. As to the option of manual vs CVT my partner now prefers the later after having had an Outlander 2.4 CVT for the last 6 years. I've also got used to it and tend to adopt a more economical driving style as opposed to how I drive my MX5. Will update with initial impressions next week.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Congratulations! The Mirage looks handsome in blue. Blue was my second choice; I wasn't so convinced of the green color on the brochure but I was considering it because of the novelty factor, but fell in love with it when I saw the green car in person.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Today was the day, eh? Hope all went well!

I take it they don't have many Mirages in stock, so kept yours in the showroom to show to prospects until another arrived?

Looking forward to your first impressions.