Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirage vs Prius C review

Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Excellent comparison. A Prius C was on my short list when I bought my Mirage
    I wouldn't have thought the two cars would be on the same shopping lists, but more than a few members have said they considered the C as well.

EG: the Prius C has been also been discussed in these threads:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I wouldn't have thought the two cars would be on the same shopping lists, but more than a few members have said they considered the C as well.
    Well both of them are very similar size/performance-wise to occupy the same "basic transportation" niche. And they are close so it is not a clear winner. With Mirage you loose on efficiency but win on purchase price. Total ownership costs could swing either way depending on gas, insurance and maintenance costs. If you car is unlikely to see 200,000mi Mirage is a cheaper alternative.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    I like the C but I like my Mirage better, currently at $3800 per 100k for fuel with latest gas price drop, by the time the C pays the difference in price in fuel savings, it will loose it in depreciation.
    depends on how long you keep them. The Protege which was traded for Mirage had 434K miles and was still worth 2G in trade in

BUT comparing objectively they are both fun in different way with different strong points. Mitsubishi could narrow gap by spec'ing stiffer springs and heavier dumpers, and slightly better speakers too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

they are both fun in different way with different strong points
    Yup! FYI, I recently picked up a cheap '04 Prius to use as a winter beater (to preserve my 17 year-old Firefly/Metro by keeping it off the salty roads).

I totally geek out on the hybrid driving experience: it's like a rolling video game, and managing the hybrid drivetrain in its different modes is entertaining in its own way. BUT ... I also completely love the "back to basics" driving experience of a small, light car with a 5-speed and a growly 3-banger.

And bonus: both rides are commendably efficient.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Green Car Reports covers this review/comparison

Cheap & Thrifty: Toyota Prius C Vs Mitsubishi Mirage Compared

Which is the better small-car option: a hybrid, or a very fuel-efficient conventional car?

The best candidate to represent the non-hybrid side of that debate is the Mitsubishi Mirage. It's the most fuel-efficient new car currently sold in the U.S. without any electrification.

Facing off against it is the smallest and least expensive hybrid car sold this year: the Toyota Prius C, a subcompact hatchback.

Their similar sizes and emphasis on fuel economy led one 2014 Prius C owner to test drive a 2015 Mirage, after which he posted a comparison on MirageForum.
    Read the complete article:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...irage-compared

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-13-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great post, thanks for writing it up!

Can you clarify how the Mirage interior is soft vs the Prius? As far as I know there isn't any soft material in the Mirage minus the seats. I haven't sat in a Prius C.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

They're up to 25 comments on the Green Car Reports article about this. (Yeah, a bunch are mine. )

Thanks
    Says a lot about my under 13k car that it would even be compared with the Prius C, (somewhat sarcastic). I prefer compliant to softly sprung, goes around turns fine and doesn't beat me up otherwise. Difference in mileage would be less than 10% ?

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't mind a Prius for winter duties for sure, just curious how the batteries do in the winter. One day I want a hybrid that can get me 8 miles pure ev in the winter. I just couldn't have a prius as my main car, I need 5 speed in my life!
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Same: I definitely find the hybrid drivetrain interesting to drive, but I suspect that may wear off when I get used to it. Then I'll be glad to get back into the manual. I never get tired of shifting.

That's why I loved my 2000 Insight: manual and hybrid. That was silly fun for a nerdy gearhead.