Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mirage vs Prius C review

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Great post, thanks for writing it up!

Can you clarify how the Mirage interior is soft vs the Prius? As far as I know there isn't any soft material in the Mirage minus the seats. I haven't sat in a Prius C.
    I don't know but the roundness creates soft feel. Honestly for a while I thought it is soft, that until I touched it.

Another plus for Mirage that while it is also black it doesn't seems to heat up as bad as in Prius. It must be reflective in infrared spectrum or something. The solar gain is much worse in "C".

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    They're up to 25 comments on the Green Car Reports article about this. (Yeah, a bunch are mine. )
    I will go and comment too

Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    Says a lot about my under 13k car that it would even be compared with the Prius C, (somewhat sarcastic). I prefer compliant to softly sprung, goes around turns fine and doesn't beat me up otherwise. Difference in mileage would be less than 10% ?
    It is hard to make the judgement, b/c it was on specific route. From what I've seen if it is freeway at steady 55-60MPH it could equal or even beat "C". "C" is definitely has advantage where electrics work, in stop and go, slowing down to traffic lights and A/C. But my last full tank on very green Mirage (900mi on odo) was 51.25MPG actual, and last tank on "C" was 59.-something calculated (the real MPG would be 2-3MPG less).

With respect to cushiness yeah I hear you. Suspension is great in swallowing potholes, see someone appreciating it. Especially in flat lands (though there are some nice roads your area.. had been on a bike there) Where this turns bad when you need to change directions. Too much roll and bad side grip from tires.

But this is fixable. We have coilovers on order, and when it gets sorted out we will take it to Blue Ridge and Deals Gap, stay posted

And yes while it looses to "C" in many aspects it does it by the buzz beater not by country mile. And the 6K+ difference on 12-18K car is huge.

IMHO if Mitsu had up'ed spring rates by 20-30%, put stiffer rear shocks (which would cost them nothing) and put 15" tires in common size (say 185/60R15) it would have been much closer. Slightly better speakers would be good too.

Fix those points and you have an equal car with almost as good MPG for thousands less - a clear winner in my view. Right now it is just a better value, and if "C" and Mirage were the same price "C" would have been a winner.

Last edited by cyclopathic; 08-14-2015 at 08:53 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-15-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Cheap & Thrifty: Toyota Prius C Vs Mitsubishi Mirage Compared

Read the complete article:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...irage-compared
    So I finally read the "review" and had really good laugh. How
    BUT where Prius C is pleasing to look at (from inside), Mirage interior throwback to the times when Monica Lewinsky was a household name. It is soo nineties! Nevertheless the gadgets on Mirage a simple and easy on eyes with really nice orange color which will not distract you at night.
    became this
    ..but its interior trim came off as nicer than the Toyota's.
    one could only wonder.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh and BTW that article is the first thing which comes up in Google News if you search for "Mitsubishi Mirage"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well written review and thanks. The Mitsu wins in value and the I would say the Prius is the better automobile if the cost of ownership is not a factor.

"At the start and <2k it barks like a small diesel." Yep, I like the sound in 2nd gear at low RPMs.

Hey cyclopathic... going to make a garage entry for your Mirage? (Feel free to add your Prius C too.) Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    Even if I could get better mileage in the "C", the increased insurance, taxes, and depreciation would more than pay for my fuel cost at $350 per 10k miles. Basically that would mean my fuel was free. I actually get 60mpg or better driving locally to garage sales in city traffic. Average speeds are lower. To get 60mpg on the Interstate takes some tactical pulse-drafting, but the traffic here is so heavy, 3 stripes separation is considered a luxury ( 3 stripes=130 feet or 8-9 car lengths).

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    Even if I could get better mileage in the "C", the increased insurance, taxes, and depreciation would more than pay for my fuel cost at $350 per 10k miles. Basically that would mean my fuel was free. I actually get 60mpg or better driving locally to garage sales in city traffic. Average speeds are lower. To get 60mpg on the Interstate takes some tactical pulse-drafting, but the traffic here is so heavy, 3 stripes separation is considered a luxury ( 3 stripes=130 feet or 8-9 car lengths).

regards
    mech
    Though the insurance costs for me btw 2 would be negligible, I am with you on this one. Even with added maintenance costs (brakes, etc) with current gas prices Mirage TOC is much lower due to initial investment. I just did a small round trip (5mi each way) in C to drop off cable box, and saw MPG in mid/upper 80s. Could have been higher on the way back, but I screwed up and used too much battery. MPG was at magical 99.9MPG when I was pulling into neighborhood, but then it started engine to charge battery and dropped to 86.5 overall.

Total cost savings comparing to Mirage? 0.06$ each way. Difference in purchase cost? close to $7k.

Thanks
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Looks like he did Boss, LOL.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Old Post (I know)

But I was curious about the differences. This helped so much!

My question, based on today's Mirage SE and the Prius C #2

I found a discounted 2016 Prius 2 with all weather floor mats for $16,800 (pre a little more negotiation, might be able ot get down to 16 grand plus fees)

A new standard equipped Mirage SE 5 speed for $12,150 OTD.

So, apprx $4000 difference.

One deciding factor: With seats folded down, is it flat and easy to camp in if need me with a mattress pad in the Prius? There is this incline on the Mitsubishi that would make that hard, it seems "tight" too.

Is outward vision better in the Prius C? I like seeing out. The roofline really come down near my forward vision on the Mirage. Not a deal breaker but not great.

I am actually surprised about the rear seat being roomier? Prius looks like such a wide car? The rear roofline was always on my hair in the Mirage. I could not avoid it. I am 5'8 and a half.

Do you think the Prius is worth the extra 4k?