Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Component Speakers

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't realize the stock speakers were 6Ω. I thought they would be like pretty much every other stock speaker and be 4Ω. The Infinity Reference speakers I am looking at are 2Ω which would definitely be louder. And Infinity says they are safe to use on any stock radio so they shouldn't smoke the internal amplifier. My DE does not have the Bluetooth option. I am planning on swapping to a double din that has both Bluetooth and SiriusXM radio.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burghbeagle View Post
    I didn't realize the stock speakers were 6Ω. I thought they would be like pretty much every other stock speaker and be 4Ω. The Infinity Reference speakers I am looking at are 2Ω which would definitely be louder. And Infinity says they are safe to use on any stock radio so they shouldn't smoke the internal amplifier. My DE does not have the Bluetooth option. I am planning on swapping to a double din that has both Bluetooth and SiriusXM radio.
    Mitsu Bluetooth add on is $150, you might as well put it towards new head unit.

Our plan to replace speakers, and if not enough add amp, sub and/or head.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I stand corrected. We took fronts off today and replaced them with Pioneer TS-A1685Rs. The OEMs were 3.7-3.8om and replacements 3.2. Much better sound, flatter response and deeper soundscape.

TSAs are rated at 91dB, and by the looks OEMs had to be ~83-85, if even that. With fronts only at 26 you get equivalent of what used to be ~40, and at MAX (45) radio is very loud, but not overwhelmingly so. Do not see any need for amp, esp if you replace rears too, though speakers can handle 60wt RMS/350wt Peak,.

Roll of Seal&Peal strategically applied in both doors made huge difference. Now front floor panels will need to be soundproofed too. Otherwise there is a weird feel of road noise coming from one direction only.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 08-23-2015 at 07:56 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Will the pioneers fit in the original speaker space? Will I need to buy brackets or anything else with it???

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    Will the pioneers fit in the original speaker space? Will I need to buy brackets or anything else with it???
    No. I had to cut door and on fronts had to make plywood adapters so they don't touch windows. Rears have enough space.

We used about 1.5 roll of seal&peel to soundproof doors. Made car alot quieter (search on YouTube on Peel&Seal soundproofing).

Speakers are rated from 34Hz to 30K, which means they are audible at 30, defined at 40, and with +1 bass correction pretty much flat from 50-60Hz up. Dynamic range 66dB. No wonder they were top pick in top ten review. They still need a sub at the bottom, but as is it is not high on priority list.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 08-24-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

I installed a pair of Infinity Reference replacement speakers for the front of my car last year, around this time. They too are the 2 ohm versions. I have had ZERO problems out of the stock radio with them in the car, and the sound is VASTLY improved.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.