Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ever run out of gas? (fuel gauge blinking / empty tank)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When the entire bottom Bars is blinking from the gauge, how many gallon is left? I fill up from blinking and it only fill up about 7.459 gallon,.. our tank is 9.2 gallon so we have about 60 miles left to drive before it dry out?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
    When the entire bottom Bars is blinking from the gauge, how many gallon is left? I fill up from blinking and it only fill up about 7.459 gallon,.. our tank is 9.2 gallon so we have about 60 miles left to drive before it dry out?
    The usual reserve in the tank for a regular car is 10% of the gas tank size. After the light/low fuel indicator goes on is about 30-45 miles range on average. I guess this car is capable of squeezing out I little bit more than that with less juice

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was at a red light and I could see my idle RPM's dropping. I threw it in neutral and coasted right into the gas station. It didn't run dry but that's the closest I've come to it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CESARG View Post
    The usual reserve in the tank for a regular car is 10% of the gas tank size. After the light/low fuel indicator goes on is about 30-45 miles range on average. I guess this car is capable of squeezing out I little bit more than that with less juice
    It probably depends on just HOW full you filled it up as well. I don't think whatever gas is in the filler neck is counted as tank capacity. A filler neck can hold as much as 1/2 a gallon of fuel. That's an extra 20-30 miles with these cars.

When I ran mine empty, it took nearly 9.5 gallons to fill it back up.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-12-2016),Fummins (12-05-2019),ThunderG (05-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    When I ran mine empty, it took nearly 9.5 gallons to fill it back up.
    Thanks! That's good to know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

ThunderG (05-12-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wait, so I usually fill up when it doesnt show anymore on the range. Does anyone know if there a warning beep or light that comes on when you're really close to running dry?

From what I'm reading is that I still have a lot more left in the tank once it goes blank

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
    Wait, so I usually fill up when it doesnt show anymore on the range. Does anyone know if there a warning beep or light that comes on when you're really close to running dry?

From what I'm reading is that I still have a lot more left in the tank once it goes blank
    I don't know if it's "alot" left. I was down to the last bar the other day and put in 7.1 gallons. I'm thinking somewhere around a gallon or 4 liters.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good to know. My light started blinking and I could not get to a gas station right away and was in a bit of a panic. When I finally did fill up, it only took 7.25 gallons and had travelled 327 miles. I previously had a Honda Fit which had a small tank and could barely go 300 miles. The extra 50 miles is convenient to have. I'd love a care that could go 500 miles on a tank, but thanks the the VW TDI scandal, the days of diesel passenger cards in this country are numbered. Too bad. Those engines had nice driving characteristics.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    A good rule of thumb is that each of the eight bars on the fuel gauge represents about a gallon, with a bit over a gallon in reserve when there are no more bars left.

There will also usually be a bit more fuel in the filler neck.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-25-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    Good to know. My light started blinking and I could not get to a gas station right away and was in a bit of a panic. When I finally did fill up, it only took 7.25 gallons and had travelled 327 miles. I previously had a Honda Fit which had a small tank and could barely go 300 miles. The extra 50 miles is convenient to have. I'd love a care that could go 500 miles on a tank, but thanks the the VW TDI scandal, the days of diesel passenger cards in this country are numbered. Too bad. Those engines had nice driving characteristics.
    I just filled up today and hit 451.737 miles on my tank. It took 7.45 gal to fill it back up. I should have been able to hit 500 miles before running out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 53.4 mpg (US) ... 22.7 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.1 mpg (Imp)