Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Ecoboost sad news

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ford just needs to offer a proper servicing on these. You dont need new heads just proper servicing to keep the carbon build up off it.

Those ecoboost engines are awesome but, they're new so every engine goes threw its refining period.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Clessy For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-03-2015)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    True, galant and carisma GDI are prone to problems as well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    True, galant and carisma GDI are prone to problems as well.
    Very true all GDI engines prone:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoli...tion#Drawbacks
    Although Direct Injection provides more power and efficiency, a carbon build-up occurs in the intake valves that over time reduces the airflow to the cylinders, and therefore reduces power. Fuel contains various detergents and can keep the intakes clean. When fuel is no longer being sprayed in the intake valves, small amounts of dirt from intake air cakes on the intake walls, even with air filters that prevent most of the dirt from entering the cylinder.[67] This build-up can become severe enough that a piece can break off and has been known to burn holes in catalytic converters.[68] It can also cause sporadic ignition failures.[68] These problems have been known for some time and technologies[citation needed] have been improved to reduce the carbon build-up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-09-2015),m4v3r1ck (09-04-2015)

Thanks
    Since the issue seems to be related to intake valve deposits and moving the injector to the combustion chamber, I wonder if the solution is to apply a teflon type surface treatment (or ceramic, etc.) to the intake valve itself. Not the stem but the back side of the valve head.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    Since the issue seems to be related to intake valve deposits and moving the injector to the combustion chamber, I wonder if the solution is to apply a teflon type surface treatment (or ceramic, etc.) to the intake valve itself. Not the stem but the back side of the valve head.

regards
    mech
    From what I read it is not valves only, ports too. You are 100% correct like with transition to unlead solution is to use different materials

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There's a reason this guy was fired from the Ford dealer.

He really hates Ford products and is spreading false information about them.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if water injection would help in this situation? I've used it on multiple cars before and it always kept the intake tract downstream of the injector crystal clean and shiny. I know water injection really helps with turbocharged engines so I don't see why it would not help in this situation, unless the person driving rarely got into boost.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I think an occasional service of spraying some water in the intake would probably suffice. Say when you do an oil change you take a spray bottle and give it a good spray down with it running. Zero extra vehicle cost that way.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Does added water encourage corrosion?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nope. If your engine is warm enough it just evaporates through different orifices. Everything internal is coated in oil anyways, it would take a long time of sitting to have any effect.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)