Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: see stock springs, UltraRacing sway bar, and 15" aftermarket wheels in action

Country
    United States
    Thanks

see stock springs, UltraRacing sway bar, and 15" aftermarket wheels in action

Making Zero sliiiiide

You can see the still significant body roll, a set of springs & shocks would eliminate this substantially, this was my second time, on the first - before the iphone came out - the inside rear lifted off the ground noticeably... there was disappointment from the peanut gallery this didn't recur ;-)

https://youtu.be/E89UJaA59Ic

ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Can you make a slalom video?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Back in the day, I thought the car needed better shocks/struts than springs. I was mistaken as replacing the springs made a night/day difference. The springs may or may not be helping the shocks as the car now bounces less. I'm no engineer, though, so IDK.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Back in the day, I thought the car needed better shocks/struts than springs. I was mistaken as replacing the springs made a night/day difference. The springs may or may not be helping the shocks as the car now bounces less. I'm no engineer, though, so IDK.
    What springs did you go with and how is the ride for day to day driving?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the 60$ VW Beetle lowering springs in the rear; stock fronts. At first, maybe 3-5k miles, the ride was mild-firm. Now, 10k+ miles later, the car feels like how a stock econo car would feel like.

Take note that I did not say that the car currently feels stock. The stock springs are too soft, thus the body roll you see in OP's video. With my current setup, it's definitely stiffer than stock, even after the springs 'settle.' Since changing them out, the car has almost NEVER bottomed out. Back in the original springs, the car would bottom out at the slightest dip. Also, with my 15" 195 wide tires, no more rubbing.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    They should be.

Think this way: stiffer spring -> less travel, less travel -> less damping needed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought stiffer springs would release kinetic energy faster and more forcefully (higher vibration rate) and this needs more damping force? A huge super soft bouncy spring needs less damping force to control.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    I thought stiffer springs would release kinetic energy faster and more forcefully (higher vibration rate) and this needs more damping force? A huge super soft bouncy spring needs less damping force to control.
    http://www.monroe.com/en-US/support/...ock-Absorbers/
    The amount of resistance a shock absorber develops depends on the speed of the suspension and the number and size of the orifices in the piston. All modern shock absorbers are velocity sensitive hydraulic damping devices - meaning the faster the suspension moves, the more resistance the shock absorber provides. Because of this feature, shock absorbers adjust to road conditions.
    Keep in mind that the amount of energy going into suspension will be still the same as it is defined by bump, not by spring rate. So same energy more overall damping.

More advanced shocks with Acceleration Sensitive Damping will give less damping at higher speeds, but I doubt that bottom of the barrel OEM Tokyco would have ASD.
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 03-16-2016 at 04:39 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
    Making Zero sliiiiide

You can see the still significant body roll, a set of springs & shocks would eliminate this substantially, this was my second time, on the first - before the iphone came out - the inside rear lifted off the ground noticeably... there was disappointment from the peanut gallery this didn't recur ;-)

https://youtu.be/E89UJaA59Ic
    liked, commented and subscribed Can I see the unedited clip?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the 60$ VW Beetle lowering springs in the rear; stock fronts. At first, maybe 3-5k miles, the ride was mild-firm. Now, 10k+ miles later, the car feels like how a stock econo car would feel like.

Take note that I did not say that the car currently feels stock. The stock springs are too soft, thus the body roll you see in OP's video. With my current setup, it's definitely stiffer than stock, even after the springs 'settle.' Since changing them out, the car has almost NEVER bottomed out. Back in the original springs, the car would bottom out at the slightest dip. Also, with my 15" 195 wide tires, no more rubbing.
    Do you have a link for the springs you bought? I'm still working on my sway bar, and I'll have to pull the springs out... and I have a spare $60.