Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modifications - Fuel tank (increase capacity / volume?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Modifications - Fuel tank (increase capacity / volume?)

Has anyone work on or knows someone has increase the size of the fuel tank by at least 1 gal?

Please feel free to redirect me to any thread that addressed this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My thoughts exactly! I wouldn't mind transplanting a 13-15 gallon tank just for massive range

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage es 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agreed. Now that my rear springs have been upgraded, I have no doubts the suspension can handle another gallon or two.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cortisol View Post
    Has anyone work on or knows someone has increase the size of the fuel tank by at least 1 gal?

how about by 5gal?
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ZBQ-1412

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It would be nice not having to fill up so often due to a small tank. Is it even possible to expand the capacity?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

There seems to be an issue with the extra capacity. How do you tell the onboard computer about the extra fuel? Is there a way to reset the existing numbers? As I see it, the 'distance left on tank' calculation will be way out unless you reprogram tank capacity volume.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ESpecially frugal hatch 1.2 manual: 49.3 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-01-2015)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I have a 5 L extra tank in the trunk, just of the Gas price is low, I will fill it up and have it for my next fill up

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    There seems to be an issue with the extra capacity. How do you tell the onboard computer about the extra fuel? Is there a way to reset the existing numbers? As I see it, the 'distance left on tank' calculation will be way out unless you reprogram tank capacity volume.
    I was talking to a friend this weekend and he said it could be done, the way it was explained to me is that the sensor reads the left over, so as long as the extra fuel is used "first" if you will, it would not be an issue; the drawbacks would be the cost might be about couple of hundred$, and I am not sure Mitsubishi would be ok with it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was talking to a friend this weekend and he said it could be done, the way it was explained to me is that the sensor reads the left over, so as long as the extra fuel is used "first" if you will, it would not be an issue; the drawbacks would be the cost might be about couple of hundred$, and I am not sure Mitsubishi would be ok with it?
    what are you getting out of the tank now, and how much additional range do you need?

Looking at the fuel log most of the fill ups tend to be in 6 to 7.5gal range, and tank is what, 9.2? If you put a 5L NATO can in trunk you could easily use 8-8.5gal btw fill ups w/o worrying too much running dry.

Another option is to get a 5gal jerry can and do mid-week top off. I had used this when commuted on bike. With 160mi range and 110mi commute that was the best solution. Had to drive car once a week to refill cans.

Or you could stop by more expensive gas station and put a couple gals to extend range.

I understand that sometimes commute, favorite gas station and short range do not mesh well.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    The inside of the spare tire is about 12 inches in diameter and 3 inches deep. Two gallons is 256 cubic inches versus the 339 inches volume otherwise wasted. I looked without luck for a round tank that would fit in that area, but did not find anything. It would have to perfectly seal the fuel inside.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

mohammad (02-16-2022)