Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New tire option!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Hey Alan. Its been a while. Can you give us an update on how the tires are working out for you?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Hey Alan. Its been a while. Can you give us an update on how the tires are working out for you?
    So far so good! Just over four thousand miles on them. Seem to do well in the rain and no hydroplaning of any kind. Will update after the snow and ice comes!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to outtahours For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-04-2015)

Country
    Italy
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by outtahours View Post
    So far so good! Just over four thousand miles on them. Seem to do well in the rain and no hydroplaning of any kind. Will update after the snow and ice comes!
    Hey outtahours, you got any updates the year after?

I am about to buy new tyres for my car and bumped into this option.

I am either considering summer tyres like these Invovic + chains (mandatory in my country) for winter, or the new CrossClimate by Michelin, which are worth double the price at least and don't require chains.

Just need to make the choice, I hear these Invovic are OK in terms of performance, I need to consider the average mileage in order to decide what better suits my situation and my wallet.

Thanks a lot!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi,
    Yes I do, the tires seem to do well on snow covered, deep snow covered, wet and dry roads.
    The only problem is I only got 25000 miles out of them before they were down to the wear bars.
    I also had a lot of cracking in between the tread. BTW, they are rated at 50000 miles.
    I went back to mavis where I got them, They are giving me credit for the warranty but
    it still is going to end up costing a total of about 700 bucks to get the full 50000 out of them.
    hope that helps, Alan

Country
    Italy
    Thanks
    Absolutely.

That's exactly what happened to me with another chinese All Season tyre (Star Performer). They lasted more or less 15K miles and that was really crappy.

I thought giving a try to these Invovic, which are summer tyres, and get myself a set of snow chains, but if this is the case I will rather invest on the Michelin CrossClimate and see how it works. They are supposed to be long lasting.

Next year, I will either stick to them if they actually make the supposed mileage (around 40K I assume) and continue buying pairs of CrossClimate or, in case they won't last enough, go back to regular decent summer tyres and load snow chains in the trunk.

Thanks a lot for your prompt feedback!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I forgot to mention too, I am not an aggressive driver. so I can't blame the tread wear on that!
    So how goes it in Italy? That is the only foreign country both me and my wife would love to visit.

Country
    Italy
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by outtahours View Post
    I forgot to mention too, I am not an aggressive driver. so I can't blame the tread wear on that!
    So how goes it in Italy? That is the only foreign country both me and my wife would love to visit.
    I am quite aggressive at times that's why my front tyres lasted nothing.

At this point, it makes no sense saving on cheap tyres if their mileage is that low.

Italy is great, unluckily we're stuck with political difficulties but that's how it's always been since I landed on this world.

Looks like US is not really going that well either, but the situation is completely different :-)

Come and visit us soon! Americans love Italy usually. I make it to US once every few years to visit my sister in Philadelphia.

Cheers

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Resident Tire Engineer checking in here... if you look closely (not even all that closely on these really) in the ribs of the tire. You see how the rubber isn't all one color? Its swirly and striated? That means that the tread rubber on these was mixed very very poorly. It screams to me of cheap raw materials and the fastest mix cycle possible, along with a bad extrusion process, and little to no Quality Assurance final inspection. I'm disheartened just looking at them... and only 25k to boot... ugh.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-11-2017),Eggman (11-17-2016),MetroMPG (11-15-2017),Top_Fuel (11-17-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for the update, I need tire and not sure if I go back to OEM or the Bridgestone RE92 now.. $20 cheaper..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought a set of RADAR DIMAX 4 SEASON RP-4S 165-65-14 for $220 shipped. I'm hoping the tread pattern will be great for winter.

"Radar Dimax 4 Season RP4S tires will give you year round comfort and value for your vehicle. All sizes of the Radar Dimax 4 Season series are certified for use in winter conditions and carry the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol. These tires will work well in snow, slush, and rain as well as give excellent performance in dry conditions. It is a run-flat tire which can fit passenger vehicles and SUVs. The tread is designed for maximum safety in rough conditions. With an asymmetric tread pattern and high-density lateral sipes, you will experience good grip and traction during wet or snowy conditions. Using a dual compound technology, the Radar Dimax 4 Season RP4S tires provide four seasons optimal performance. The optimized casing profile along with the tread pattern pitch gives you quiet and comfortable rides. The tire is speed rated W or 168 miles per hour.

Features & Benefits
    Four seasons optimal performance with W speed rating (169 miles per hour)
    Certified for winter road use
    Optimal casing profile with tread pattern for grip and reduced noise"

Attached Images Attached Images    
    (blank signature)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-12-2017),inuvik (11-12-2017),MetroMPG (11-15-2017)