Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Video: starter problem (Mirage 1.2L CVT) - flywheel defect? Update: warranty repair

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well... Add another one to the list. My newly acquired 2014 is also chewing up the starter/flexplate. It's done it twice, and I haven't even gotten it legal to drive yet. I dropped it off at the dealer today, for two recalls, and asked them to check out the starter issue. As I knew, the starter won't be covered under warranty, but I'm trying to at least get the latest tsb and parts list, along with an estimate.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just got back from the dealership. They did two recalls on the car. One C1601A, for 2014 & 2015 models. Invoice says check connector C212 for corrosion, and replace if necessary.
    Second one was C1602A, ECU refresh. Service mgr mentioned that part of this recall addresses similar starter issues that I mentioned. He said if it were him, he'd drive it for awhile, and see if that took care of it. I'm not sure how a reflash would fix a goofy starter drive, but who knows? Sounds like a load of crap, if you ask me. At least it didn't cost me anything. I thanked him, and slid him a $5.00 tip on the way out. Guess only time will tell.

I looked up that recall, and it only mentions too much fuel being dumped in the cylinder during cold starts, and possibly washing down the cylinders. Couldn't find anything about addressing the starter problem.
    Last edited by Car Nut; 02-15-2017 at 09:15 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Just got back from the dealership. They did two recalls on the car. One C1601A, for 2014 & 2015 models. Invoice says check connector C212 for corrosion, and replace if necessary.
    Second one was C1602A, ECU refresh. Service mgr mentioned that part of this recall addresses similar starter issues that I mentioned. He said if it were him, he'd drive it for awhile, and see if that took care of it. I'm not sure how a reflash would fix a goofy starter drive, but who knows? Sounds like a load of crap, if you ask me. At least it didn't cost me anything. I thanked him, and slid him a $5.00 tip on the way out. Guess only time will tell.

I looked up that recall, and it only mentions too much fuel being dumped in the cylinder during cold starts, and possibly washing down the cylinders. Couldn't find anything about addressing the starter problem.
    Is Mitsubishi saying only the fuel supplied at startup is incorrect? Or when cold, for the first few minutes of operation? I was never clear on this.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hello Everyone,

I bought this 2021 Space star 1.2 (M/T) and I have the same problem as you guys and the car has only done 2882km.... I can't start it with the key anymore, I've bought an other starter from a almost new space star and same problem. But the car does start when I push and pop the clutch. So I think that the flywheel or gear ring is defective? Do you guys think its maybe a fault from factory? Maybe the flywheel wasn't properly torqued in?

Thanks in advance,
    Sebastian

p.s. i will try to post a video of the sound from outside.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sebastian, do you hear the starter making any noise at all? Click, whine, clunk, anything? If not, you probably have an electrical issue. No juice from the ignition switch to the starter relay or something similar

Well, my starter issue keep getting worse and very annoying/embarrassing, so…. I located a very low mileage flex plate online and had a buddy install it in his shop. Cost $40 shipped to me, labor $300 cashola. Everybody else was $700-$900. Best money I’ve spent in awhile. Been about 6 weeks, no issue so far. Knock on wood The starter seems to be fine, just the flywheel/flex plate was chewed up. I did have to replace the cv axle seal to the cvt as it started leaking afterwards. About $20 for the dealer part and one hour of my labor. Easy job Nobody had a listing for that seal. Dealer only. Imagine that. ☹️

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Yes, I do hear like 2 clicks (like it engages and then disengages) then it just spools up (whining sound) I am thinking the ring gear has somehow got off the flywheel.

I'd verify you get 12 volts at the small wire when trying to start it, and if you're sure about the flywheel just pull the starter out and take a look at it. We can't see it from here. I assume you don't have any warranty or something?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    cv axle seal to the cvt as it started leaking . About $20 for the dealer part. Nobody had a listing for that seal. Dealer only. Imagine that. ☹️
    Here you go for next time...

Mitsubishi 2702A072
    NOK AH23651
    SKF 15888
    Payen NJ190

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...Axle-seal-leak

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (02-10-2022),inuvik (02-08-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Had it twice now 2 in the past 3 years.