Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Video: starter problem (Mirage 1.2L CVT) - flywheel defect? Update: warranty repair

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I also experienced this problem (twice today!) atleast once a month. When I start the engine, I depress the brake, and then press the start/stop button. What usually happens is similar to the youtube video with all icons in my dashboard lighted up and the brakes very hard to depress. It usually takes me two attempts before I can successfully start the engine - but I'm still figuring it out how I made it start!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 37.0 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Nothing will happen. Unless u hold it for 3 secs or push it 3 times then the engine will turn off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    here I am again. the guy with GLS (key starter). It happened twice today. I put the transmission on P and the brake was not pressed. Any newest update about the root cause of this issue ?

Have you been in touch with your dealer? This should be a warranty issue. (The hard part is reproducing the problem to them, if it only happens intermittently.)

But Mitsubishi must know about this by now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    no I havent.. previously i doubt that this glitch happened to me.. but i'm closer to complaining to my dealer now (still 2000 km though)

Country
    New Zealand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The problem seems to occur in our key start CVT Mirage if the key is turned from Ignition On to Start too quickly. If we turn the key to Ignition On, count slowly to three, then turn the key to Start there is no problem.

From this I deduce (suspect) that the placement of the terminals in the ignition lock is such that when the key is turned to Ignition On, brief contact is also made with the Start terminals thus causing the starter motor to spin up slightly. If the key is then moved to Start before the starter motor has come fully to rest, I suspect that the Bendix gear will then grate against the ring gear rather than meshing.

Flange - thanks for the input. I didn't realize you had experienced it as well.

Anyone want to place bets on whether Mitsubishi officially addresses this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    There seems to be a "silent" recall going on over here. Mitsubishi acknowledged the problem and my unit is scheduled for the starter/drive plate replacement once parts arrived. I'm hoping that it will be a permanent fix to the problem...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 37.0 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.4 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to noob@cars For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-08-2013)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I'm chose the basic model with no start button because I like to KISS [keep it simple-stupid].

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.4 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.9 mpg (Imp)

Thanks for the update, noob@cars.

Pinky - it seems to also affect some cars with "regular" key starting, not just the push button start. And primarily cars with CVT/automatic transmissions.

We haven't heard of a 5-speed car that is affected, have we?