Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Video: starter problem (Mirage 1.2L CVT) - flywheel defect? Update: warranty repair

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Flange View Post
    The problem seems to occur in our key start CVT Mirage if the key is turned from Ignition On to Start too quickly. If we turn the key to Ignition On, count slowly to three, then turn the key to Start there is no problem.

this is a good tip. I am now practising the 'countdown' before starting. I'l let you know if the 'screaming' occurs again

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    will try this too. i had my 4th time starting problem, twice occured after a car-wash, one after the car was left at an open parking, extremely hot day, other one during driving uphill. parked for a while..

now that i think about this, in common with my starting problems are, unleveled ground (slightly elevated, front wheels) when I turned the engine off..

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    the screaming happened again this morning. I turned on the key for 5 minutes.. while wiping raindrops, and then >>>> Screetch..! So , the waiting doesnt work. Will ask for warranty replacement.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    +1 to Phil Mirage owners who have the same issue.

Oh, no! And only one month old.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I alsao experience it with my Mirage GLX CVT. I have scheduled it for repair since it is under warranty. Yes it is less than a month.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage GLX 1.2 automatic: 49.4 mpg (US) ... 21.0 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    The problem seems to occur in our key start CVT Mirage if the key is turned from Ignition On to Start too quickly. If we turn the key to Ignition On, count slowly to three, then turn the key to Start there is no problem.

From this I deduce (suspect) that the placement of the terminals in the ignition lock is such that when the key is turned to Ignition On, brief contact is also made with the Start terminals thus causing the starter motor to spin up slightly. If the key is then moved to Start before the starter motor has come fully to rest, I suspect that the Bendix gear will then grate against the ring gear rather than meshing.
    I will try it. Thanks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage GLX 1.2 automatic: 49.4 mpg (US) ... 21.0 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    i posted here several times. I didn't go to warranty claim as I didn;'t have time. Strangely it disappers by itself.. no single occurennce in 1 month.. hopefully it was just adjusting issue as it is still new....

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    anyone in the EU also got this problem? or problems because i see a video about the cvt display and cvt not working ok,

Country
    New Zealand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

From this I deduce (suspect) that the placement of the terminals in the ignition lock is such that when the key is turned to Ignition On, brief contact is also made with the Start terminals thus causing the starter motor to spin up slightly. If the key is then moved to Start before the starter motor has come fully to rest, I suspect that the Bendix gear will then grate against the ring gear rather than meshing.
    Well, so much for that idea - we too have had occasions on which the Bendix gear has failed to mesh even after allowing a few seconds pause before turning the key to the Start position.

Discussing the problem with the dealer they readily admit that it is a recognised problem and are arranging the spare parts for the official fix. They were unusually open about it, stating that the parts to be replaced are three - the flywheel (which includes the ring gear), the starter motor (which includes the Bendix gear), plus a "thin metal plate" which they weren't sure precisely what it was.

I came away with the impression that the problem was in the Bendix gear, perhaps not sliding as freely on the starter shaft as it should, and that Mitsubishi are replacing the whole gubbins as a precaution against longer term failure in case either the Bendix gear or the ring gear had suffered damage.

When the dealer calls the car in I will ask to see the parts that come out, maybe have a play with the Bendix gear and report back.

Cheers
    Flange

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flange For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-16-2013),MetroMPG (09-16-2013)