Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Video: starter problem (Mirage 1.2L CVT) - flywheel defect? Update: warranty repair

Video: starter problem (Mirage 1.2L CVT) - flywheel defect? Update: warranty repair

A Malaysian Mirage driver posted this video yesterday of what he says is a common problem with a push-button starter equipped Mirage 1.2.

On his first push of the button, the car makes a nasty mechanical noise (to hear it better, he rolls the window down while it's making the noise), but the engine doesn't start. Second attempt, it starts normally.

UPDATE: happens with a key-start Mirage, too:

He reports it's a common problem:

This happen on atleast 70% of our community members car. The sound also occur when I push start x2 wait for the light goes off and start the engine. If anyone recognize sound of this problem, please put up comment below.
    Almost sounds like the starter is spinning but not engaging the flywheel ring gear (= the "teeth" a starter meshes with to turn the engine).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I haven't experience it yet, but a couple of members of the Mirage Pilipinas forum have. One of them had parts replaced under warranty. I think the issue mainly afflicts CVT-equipped cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    I haven't experience it yet, but a couple of members of the Mirage Pilipinas forum have. One of them had parts replaced under warranty. I think the issue mainly afflicts CVT-equipped cars.
    I for one has also experienced this annoying sound twice since i bought the Mirage GLS CVT last February 20. Could someone tell me what part was replaced?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    few owners already replaced their driveplate (flywheel) under warranty.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NaimaRaiko For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-03-2013)

NaimaRaiko, thanks very much for posting that info.

Supports my YouTube diagnosis! (Starter not meshing with the teeth on the flywheel ring gear. )

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    MetroMPG, yeah that's exactly the problem.. starter bendix drive & flywheel ring gear not meshing

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

Any Fly Wheel problem?

saw lot of complains about mirage Fly wheel problem in malaysia. its occur when start engine(most CVT start button user) .

later will find the youtube link

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    here in the philippines, we already have few owners changed their flywheel & starter under warranty. This is a global issue with the CVT equipped units & should be recalled.

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    I've had my starter adjusted and so far no problem, will continue testing

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)