Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Catch Can

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Yes @mitsumi .. I'm w/ CavCrew .. You can take a look at my ride under Members Rides "My Car Mitz" in the local Forum.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (09-22-2015)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    Yes @mitsumi .. I'm w/ CavCrew .. You can take a look at my ride under Members Rides "My Car Mitz" in the local Forum.
    Yep already checked your ride! very nice. But do you have a DYI to install the OCC? really dont have any idea how to install it. hehe

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The point of an oil catch can is to filter out the air that is coming out of the PCV system. The name essentially explains what it does.. its a can that catches oil.. its so the engine doesn't burn engine oil that comes through the PCV system.

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    ^This is true and in addition blow-by gasses coming out of the pcv system is contaminated with burned oil from the combustion chamber and again introduced in the intake system. This is why the throttle body, maf or map sensors get filthy overtime.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NaimaRaiko For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-24-2015),mitsumi (10-05-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I thought the PCV enters the intake side downstream of the sensors?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mohammad (06-30-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    It typically does. I'm not 100% sure where it runs on the Mirage.

Any updates from those running catch cans or those inspecting their intake manifolds for oil?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I know little about this - but I did read that oil catch cans were also of greater benefit on direct injection engines, as they don't have the benefit of the intake valves being constantly washed by detergent gasoline. I understand it poorly, and may be very wrong - take with appropriate sodium grains.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I know little about this - but I did read that oil catch cans were also of greater benefit on direct injection engines, as they don't have the benefit of the intake valves being constantly washed by detergent gasoline. I understand it poorly, and may be very wrong - take with appropriate sodium grains.
    Yes. Buildup on the intake valves is somewhat of a problem on some direct injection engines. The vapors that go through the PCV (all engines have this) will leave deposits on the intake valves.

Some engines have more blowby than others. Worn out engines with rings that don't seal as well will. However, even a tight engine will have some PCV. When it is cold and damp, the oil will start to retain moisture. Then once the oil is up to temperature, it will "burn off" through the PCV system.

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Stock, built all motor, turbo'ed or supercharged, the Mirage does not need a catch can. If your adding one its for purely cosmetic purposes.

If you do add one anyways, just be sure to do it properly. Ensure that you do not vent anything off with open fittings or filters. Ensure that the catch can is filled with some sort of media like a metal mesh (an empty can does not work properly). Ensure that you check the can and drain the oil AND WATER from it regularly. Don't use the silicone lines that come with the catch can, use a proper rubber line.
    Daily: 2017 Mirage G4 SE - Not Boosted Yet!

Current Project: Working on legitimate Mirage Tuning

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to live4redline For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (11-16-2015),poorman1 (01-31-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    The advantage I have observed is that there is no more SOOT at the inlet manifold side of the my MAP sensor (installed for Asian car models). So, my MAP sensor checking/cleaning will be fewer.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (11-16-2015)