Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Oil Catch Can

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    It's just a matter of preference..

One reason why I'm using OCC is to have only pure gasoline ignited in the combustion chamber. I don't want it contaminated with oil which can lower the octane value that can lead to engine pinging.

In the local Philippine forum, I often read complaints on 93 RON gasoline and engine pinging. Forumers are often advised to use preferably higher than 95 RON.

I have yet to hear the actual engine pinging they are telling..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    It's just a matter of preference..

One reason why I'm using OCC is to have only pure gasoline ignited in the combustion chamber. I don't want it contaminated with oil which can lower the octane value that can lead to engine pinging.

In the local Philippine forum, I often read complaints on 93 RON gasoline and engine pinging. Forumers are often advised to use preferably higher than 95 RON.

I have yet to hear the actual engine pinging they are telling..
    This is exactly why I bought one from James Barone Racing, and will be installing it along with a modified oil pan (adding turbo soon) on my cx-5 this week. I have aftermarket exhaust and intake, and custom ECU tune (when is someone gonna offer a gen6 mirage tune :/ unlocks so many possibilities especially FI..). During high RPM shifting I occasionally get a rpm drop that I'm sure is from oil vapor entering the intake mani and lowering the octane. My engine is tuned for 93 (US), and will adjust timing based on what the ECU is predicting and real time detecting for knock. I could be at a x degree advance then shift (50 deg max according to data log), and timing retard big time because of vapor, and lose about 1k rpm on top of the normal drop into the next shift. Since high RPM is the lowest vacuum for a NA engine (and when it may actually create a small bit of positive pressure, I can max out at .4 Lb of "boost" lol), it's the best condition for blow by. I'm not sure how easy it is to access the intake mani on the mirage, or if there is a MAP sensor attatched to it, or some other sensor you can remove to look inside, but right after a regular drive is a good time to look and see what you can find for condensed oil vapor.

And yes, despite what many people generally say about using an octane higher than specified, if you motor is adjusted for advanced timing, whether it's mechanical and done by hand, or on the fly through the ECU (mitsu/mazda) it can benefit from higher octane simply by virtue of advance timing. The earlier your gas can be ignited, without knock, the more power you get from the stroke (the same amount of fuel).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Wanted to report my findings so far with my homemade catch can. I installed it for fun, basically an excuse to pop the hood and play mechanic. I am surprised at the amount of collected blow-by after only about 1000 miles. My catch can consists of a 1/4-inch compressed air/water separator from Home Depot. I removed the inner micro-perforated copper filter, as I felt it presented too much of a restriction, and then glued back in place the upper flow-director (plastic piece) to maintain some centrifugal action. I also placed some stainless steel pot scrubbers inside. After about 1000 miles of mostly highway driving (3,500 rpm+) I had accumulated about 1-2 ml of oil, maybe slightly more. The outlet of my catch can had oil in it, so some oil was still getting past my catch can and I felt a larger catch can would work better. I bought a much larger 1/2 inch separator. I'll give it a few thousand miles (or less) and report back. Ill try to get pictures. I think the high rpm and super light Mitsubishi oil is atomizing the oil into the air and its basically suspended thus getting past the PVC. Still don't think its a problem, but if your oil level drops slightly over time, its probably leaving the system through the PVC as opposed to bad rings of valve guides.
    Oh defiantly. Your car may have an oil separator built in; mine does. However it's designed to pass emissions, and it's not designed to be drained. So of course, anything collected is at some point worked back into the system under some condition(s) to be recirculated and reburned. For anyone with a service manual pdf, try searching "oil separator", I'm curious.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_top_her View Post
    Oh defiantly. Your car may have an oil separator built in; mine does. However it's designed to pass emissions, and it's not designed to be drained. So of course, anything collected is at some point worked back into the system under some condition(s) to be recirculated and reburned. For anyone with a service manual pdf, try searching "oil separator", I'm curious.

Didn't find anything for the Mirage other than the typical PCV and breather lines found on basically every budget engine out there, also, I assume there is some form of baffle on the underside of the valve cover to aid with separation but can't confirm. Looks like on your CX5 the separator is a semi separate unit not integrated into the top of the valve cover, but none the less, it looks like a simple baffle on the PCV side. If you go FI on your mazda put a catch can on the breathe side as the PCV side will self close under boost.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

chris_top_her (01-12-2016)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Oil collected after 6481 KMS of use..

https://youtu.be/ljHqIbXF1Tg

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-24-2016),gunlak (02-25-2016),mitsumi (02-24-2016),mohammad (06-30-2021)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Nice! Thanks @Mitz for this! will surely include this on my list!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    installed a Cusco Oil Catch Can (copy)
    added silicone gasket on the spouts for added security.
    used 3/8" hoses. clamped down.

will check as soon as oil seeps out the clear hose.

Name:  occ.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  91.4 KB
    Name:  12819191_10208841606456235_3432336193864190284_o.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  93.7 KB
    Name:  12440790_10208841605056200_3588270873206831102_o.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  86.7 KB

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I saw another Mirage user whose using this type of fuel filter but it seems that you have to change every 2 months of use. Is it different from the OCC?
    Name:  8201fccf-9271-4d64-80da-44d0742e767b_1_57e9e2fb5c859aa27153e66087aecb38.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  14.6 KB

I can't put the pic right now since im at the office posting this. But it was connected from a hose near the nozzle not sure what hose it was.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Mine has a catch can, and collect it does, about 0.6L between oil changes.
    It collects about as much water as it does oil. Its purpose is to keep the intake manifold clean inside, and it does that well.
    Edit:
    It only collects a water plus oil mix in the cold season. In the warm season it collects practically nothing.
    I would see no use for a catch can in a warm climate.

Last edited by foama; 07-27-2021 at 07:41 AM.