Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Catch Can

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question Oil Catch Can

Hi there, i was watching some car vids in youtube till i found something about an oil catch can. Does our Mirage needed this type of device? Will it help or prevent anything when used in our Mirage? Benefits?
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3859
Size:  95.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Hi there, i was watching some car vids in youtube till i found something about an oil catch can. Does our Mirage needed this type of device? Will it help or prevent anything when used in our Mirage? Benefits?
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3859
Size:  95.2 KB
    I have no idea what the heck those things are.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thought these were more for FI vehicles...

Was going to copy paste, but the pix are important too... Go here:
    http://oilcatchcan.com/

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Thought these were more for FI vehicles...

Was going to copy paste, but the pix are important too... Go here:
    http://oilcatchcan.com/
    what do you mean FI vehicles Fuel Injection? Will this be useful for our mirage if used? or no benefits at all?
    Last edited by mitsumi; 09-21-2015 at 02:59 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    what do you mean FI vehicles Fuel Injection? Will this be useful for our mirage if used? or no benefits at all?
    I think that this is a solution to a non existent problem. Kind of like magnetizing your fuel line.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The acid test would be to look inside the inlet manifold/runners on a Mirage that's got a good few thousand miles on it. If the intake has a coating of oily slime build up, then a catch can will help stop that build up happening so quickly. If everything looks clean, then a catch can will be of negligible benefit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teasmade For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-22-2015),mitsumi (09-21-2015),Mitz (09-21-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    He means that oil catch cans are really only useful if you have a car with 'Forced Induction'..or a Subaru maybe lol (head gasket issues I've heard).

Unless you installed a turbo or supercharger on your Mirage, save yourself the trouble and use the money saved to keep up basic maintenance items. I can see you're trying to proactively take care of your car, which is definitely something I can relate to - so I would suggest you re-focus your efforts on replenishing your car's fluids on a more aggresive interval schedule (engine and transmission oil, coolant, brakes).

-Charlie-

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (09-21-2015)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teasmade View Post
    The acid test would be to look inside the inlet manifold/runners on a Mirage that's got a good few thousand miles on it. If the intake has a coating of oily slime build up, then a catch can will help stop that build up happening so quickly. If everything looks clean, then a catch can will be of negligible benefit.
    Yes .. that would be nice.

I have a 'modified' Greddy Oil Catch Can installed and have found trace of oil at the barb fitting at the catch can when I changed the hose. I have not noted though how many KMS I have run before inspecting it.

Name:  oil @ Catch Can.jpg
Views: 3074
Size:  84.0 KB

I would not want oil to be mixed in the combustion chamber together with the air and gasoline fuel mixture, however minute it may be.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-03-2015),mitsumi (09-22-2015)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    Yes .. that would be nice.

I have a 'modified' Greddy Oil Catch Can installed and have found trace of oil at the barb fitting at the catch can when I changed the hose. I have not noted though how many KMS I have run before inspecting it.

Name:  oil @ Catch Can.jpg
Views: 3074
Size:  84.0 KB

I would not want oil to be mixed in the combustion chamber together with the air and gasoline fuel mixture, however minute it may be.
    Great! Mitz are you in PH? dont know how to install an OCC, and will adding a OCC will void the warranty for the engine in PH?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    My guess would be the "catch can" is basically a form of a "dry sump" for use in severe conditions where you would suffer oil starvation or con rod interference if a conventional oil pan was used. The tube on the side is a level indicator, possibly view able from inside the car. Probably rally car stuff. Aero dry sumps use several scavenging pumps to keep a central reservoir full capable of running pressure even when the engine is inverted for sustained periods of time.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-22-2015)