Thread: How to Strengthen Back Surface of Rear Seat ?

Country
    Ireland
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

How to Strengthen Back Surface of Rear Seat ?

Hello,

I have a 2013 Space Star and would like to strengthen the back surface of the rear seat. The rear seat of my previous Fiat Panda had a steel backing painted black. Some paint was scratched off when folded down and transporting loose fire wood, so I added velcro attached felt and then a loose double layer of heavy tarp. This worked very well for years.

The current seat simply has a thin felt backing over some kind of frame. The short term solution will be loose cardboard and tarp, however for the long term I am considering,

1. Sewing on a heavy puncture resistant backing, perhaps a combination of tarp & fabric.

2. Attaching a 1/8" - 1/4" thick fabric covered plywood backing with stainless steel screws. The plywood would be sealed at the edges with "Wet Rot Wood Hardener" (resin with acetone solvent) and protected on the surfaces with an acrylic or tougher spray.

3. Attaching a spray painted (possibly ribbed) aluminium or stainless steel sheet with stainless steel screws.

This is a 60/40 split rear seat so it is of course a two part job.

I would like to find out if anyone else has tackled such a project, has experience removing the existing covering, or can explain what structure lies beneath ?

Thank you.

Last edited by SS1; 09-22-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Refinement

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
    Hello,

I have a 2013 Space Star and would like to strengthen the back surface of the rear seat. The rear seat of my previous Fiat Panda had a steel backing painted black. Some paint was scratched off when folded down and transporting loose fire wood, so I added velcro attached felt and then a loose double layer of heavy tarp. This worked very well for years.

The current seat simply has a thin felt backing over some kind of frame. The short term solution will be loose cardboard and tarp, however for the long term I am considering,

1. Sewing on a heavy puncture resistant backing, perhaps a combination of tarp & fabric.

2. Attaching a 1/8" - 1/4" thick fabric covered plywood backing with stainless steel screws. The plywood would be sealed at the edges with "Wet Rot Wood Hardener" (resin with acetone solvent) and protected on the surfaces with an acrylic or tougher spray.

3. Attaching a spray painted (possibly ribbed) aluminium or stainless steel sheet with stainless steel screws.

This is a 60/40 split rear seat so it is of course a two part job.

I would like to find out if anyone else has tackled such a project, has experience removing the existing covering, or can explain what structure lies beneath ?

Thank you.
    I would take off the OEM fabric, screw on plywood backing and then put fabric back for OEM look. Aluminum would work too if you wanna go that route. I'll take a look how it is attached, but normally seat covers are put on as a sock and kept in place with hog rings, so at worse you'd need to take the upholstery off the seat back and then put it back on.

youtube removing seat covers to get an idea how hog rings used.

Alternatively you could just put black painted aluminum plate on top and not worry about upholstery.

Do they have mandatory baby seat anchor points on EU spec cars?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Ireland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    I would take off the OEM fabric, screw on plywood backing and then put fabric back for OEM look. Aluminum would work too if you wanna go that route. I'll take a look how it is attached, but normally seat covers are put on as a sock and kept in place with hog rings, so at worse you'd need to take the upholstery off the seat back and then put it back on.

youtube removing seat covers to get an idea how hog rings used.

Alternatively you could just put black painted aluminum plate on top and not worry about upholstery.

Do they have mandatory baby seat anchor points on EU spec cars?
    I do not know if they are mandatory (quite possibly they are) however two of them are present near the lower edge. I would leave gaps for these, and the release straps at either side.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
    I do not know if they are mandatory (quite possibly they are) however two of them are present near the lower edge. I would leave gaps for these, and the release straps at either side.
    Make sure that slits for anchor points are big enough to be used with baby seats. Otherwise you'd need to deal with it when you sell car or have to put in baby seat.

How often would you need to move stuff? If it is rarely you could just throw in a piece of plywood when needed. We just use a piece of cardboard in minivan for this.

BTW the spare wheel cover is very thin cardboard, may get damaged when you'd be throwing firewood on top.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)