Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Max tyre size

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    are you 1-car family? that is also to consider.

Winter being harsh does not necessarily means alot of snow. As the matter of fact our friends north in Ontario and Quebec get much less snow than upstate New York. For 2 reasons: it is much colder there, and they are not getting hit by lake effect evaporation from great lakes. Something like 8 feet of snow in one storm last winter in Buffalo is probably unheard of in Quebec.

So if the snowfall is measured in inches (centimeters) not feet (meters) you'll be ok with 2wd. As long as snow stays below car clearance (5-5.5") and there are no steep hills 2wd with good tires will pull you alone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Plus, most of those '4x4' are actually AWD, mostly 2wd until slip happens.

I agree with 4x2's with great tires can be just as good as AWD.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just read on Finlandia climate, and it doesn't appear to be much different from Canada - not much snowfall.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geogra...inland#Climate
    Looks like it snows less than in Ontario or Quebec. Actually ON and QC seems to be getting 1.5-2 times more snow/rainfall. Any of our friends up north (MetroMPG?) could comment on how they fill Mirage would be up to the task?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    are you 1-car family? that is also to consider.

Winter being harsh does not necessarily means alot of snow. As the matter of fact our friends north in Ontario and Quebec get much less snow than upstate New York. For 2 reasons: it is much colder there, and they are not getting hit by lake effect evaporation from great lakes. Something like 8 feet of snow in one storm last winter in Buffalo is probably unheard of in Quebec.

So if the snowfall is measured in inches (centimeters) not feet (meters) you'll be ok with 2wd. As long as snow stays below car clearance (5-5.5") and there are no steep hills 2wd with good tires will pull you alone.
    I believe I may have given the impression that I will be living in the woods. By 'rural surroundings' I meant 'outside the city' because real estate in cities is typically quite expensive. Also, Europeans are not averse to using collective means of transportation. Having watched too many car crash videos from Russia over the years, I am actually quite wary of driving during winters. My point is: if the weather is terrible, I might well consider taking bus/train to work.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is hard to draw a parallel btw life in different countries/cultures. For most americans "rural" would mean living in the place where your driveway length is measured in miles (or at least hundreds of yards) and you need to get into car when you want to see your neighbor. Public transportation? sure, about 10-15mi away there is a bus stop. Have to wait an hour before getting on one. And it is not that we adverse to using public transportation, it is either non-existent or not feasible (it would take about 4hr one way).

That aside the place you're moving to sounds similar to what we describe as suburban, and if there is public transportation alternative, one of the better ones too. As long as the roads get plowed in winter it is not a rural place. With that and absence of heavy snowfalls, 2wd with good winter tires would be more than up to the task.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

philby (09-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    As long as snow stays below car clearance (5-5.5") and there are no steep hills 2wd with good tires will pull you along.
    Agreed. 4 snow tires and FWD are fine unless you live on unplowed roads.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)