Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max tyre size

Country
    Finland
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Max tyre size

A somewhat general question: is there an upper limit to the size of the winter tyres one can attach to the Mirage? How big would you be willing to go?

I also read that over-sized tyres could cause brake failure and I would assume that the added ground clearance that comes with large tyres increases the likelihood of rollover.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There is also a question of clearance and spare tire size mismatch. And speedo/odometer calibration.

We are running 185/60R14 on stock rims w/o any issues. There more tires in that size and virtually none in 165/65R14 sold in US. The size difference is ~1%.

EDIT: just a question, how big do you wanna go and why?
    Last edited by cyclopathic; 09-24-2015 at 01:24 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    +1 on the 185/60R14s. This is the size the car should have come with IMO.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

philby (09-25-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

philby (09-25-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Re-read OP; if this for winter tire on stock and 185/60 have roughly 3 finger gap between wheel and fender. You could go bigger,but I wouldn't go bigger by much.

Just looked at Hakka's offered in US, and if I was shopping for winter tires, with what they offer here I'd go with 175/65R14

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

philby (09-25-2015)

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    EDIT: just a question, how big do you wanna go and why?
    There is a likelihood that I could end up buying a house in rural surroundings up north. I want to go big only in order to make my car as versatile as possible, but I won't be doing so at the expense of security. So, I want to go as big as is safe.

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    «Access To Website Blocked»

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Try using the search terms 'tire size comparison' and hopefully there are other similar calculators that can help you determine sizing. I think tire dealers here in the US are restricted in what sizes they can sell for any given model vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    There is a likelihood that I could end up buying a house in rural surroundings up north. I want to go big only in order to make my car as versatile as possible, but I won't be doing so at the expense of security. So, I want to go as big as is safe.
    There is a big discussion between adventure motorcyclists on superiority of 21" vs 19" vs 17". While there is a difference, the biggest issue is lack of the rubber in 17".

Most of americans wouldn't think twice and buy SUV, if they were just thinking about buying a house in rural area. The increased clearance and 4wd would be deemed to be necessary just in case. In my limited experience driving in snow, slightly bigger wheels would make very little difference. Good tire will. So will clearance and 4wd if it snows alot.

How much snow can you get in Finland? In up state New York/Great lake area they can get 5-6 feet of snow in one snowstorm, and everyone in country side owns at least one truck in the family. If it only falls a couple inches a time and there no steep hills car with good tires in any size will be fine

Country
    Finland
    Thanks
    Well, winters can be harsh at times in most of northern Europe. I have been thinking about 4x4, but sometimes great tyres and 2x4 could prove more valuable than an average 4x4 vehicle with average tyres. Still: Fiat Panda 4x4 is a car that appeals to me a lot.