Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Ready!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Winter Ready!

Pulled the trigger on a set of winter tires. I was thinking about going with the OEM size, but one size wider had so many more options, and they fit just fine on the OEM alloys. Got General Altimax Arctics in 175/65/14 after seeing how good they tested, and how much cheaper they were compared to some others. We had a lot of ice here in Northern Virginia last winter, so I want to make sure I'm ready, since my RT43s aren't as fresh as they were a year ago.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=765QR4AMAXA

Attached Images Attached Images     

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Looks good. Nice agressive tread design.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I am surprised you decided to get winter tires. I live about 30mi away and never felt winter tires are justified in our area.

Yeah I drove 170mi in that last winter storm to Baltimore and back. Took 7 hours for round trip. Traction of all season tires wasn't an issue, other cars were. And we didn't get stuck except for one steep hill in Baltimore were lady decided to walk in the middle of the road and tell everyone what she thinks of the cars on "her" street and her right to walk were she wants.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Wow living in Australia we don't often see tyres like that... So chunky...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Those winter tires look like they will be good in sand too... Hmmm... Decisions decisions...

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Those winter tires look like they will be good in sand too... Hmmm... Decisions decisions...
    Likely not the compound used is not for warm temperatures

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    Pulled the trigger on a set of winter tires. I was thinking about going with the OEM size, but one size wider had so many more options, and they fit just fine on the OEM alloys. Got General Altimax Arctics in 175/65/14 after seeing how good they tested, and how much cheaper they were compared to some others. We had a lot of ice here in Northern Virginia last winter, so I want to make sure I'm ready, since my RT43s aren't as fresh as they were a year ago.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=765QR4AMAXA
    I have those exact tires...used them all winter last year and they were excellent in deep snow and made a big difference stopping on icy roads...good choice!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My last set of winter tires was a set of Firestone Winterforce that I had on my '96 Ford Aspire. Picked them up on clearance from a local Sears, at $79 for the whole set of 4. Just couldn't pass it up, and once I experienced dedicated winter tires in the snow, I'm hooked! Name:  aspire.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  47.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Man, I really have looked for some snow wheels for my Mirage since I bought it. I sent $180 to a Mirage forum member when they replaced their wheels with aftermarket...only to be ripped off (f#ck you Nicki Mirage!).

I don't like doing tire swaps because I am stuck with the snow tires for the entire season. Snow around here tends to be sporadic, and you might only need the snow tires for a day or two at time...often not at all. I like being able to just swap snow wheels on and off as needed.

Still on the hunt.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Since the Mirage has a relatively common bolt pattern and center bore (4x100, 56mm CB), it shouldn't be too much trouble. You can look up early 90s EG Honda Civic wheels for 13" options or later, or the EK for good 14" wheels. Just avoid Toyota wheels, since they have the smaller 54mm center bore.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-30-2015)