Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Winter Tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Questions about Winter Tires

So I have never owned Winter Tires in the past but I am strongly considering it. I live in Northeast Ohio and we get a lot of snow off of Lake Erie. I consider myself pretty handy but I have never known very much about cars. I'm trying to learn more with Mirage.

I would like to be able to switch between Winter Tires and my Original Tires without needing to stop by a Dealership or Mechanic. So I am leaning towards buying a new set of rims and tires so I can swap them out before and after each winter.

So I did a quick search on TireRack.com and they came back with this:

Dunlop Winter Maxx 165/65R14 - $210 Set (After Rebate)
    &
    14" Steel Wheels - $180 Set

They also offer:
    "TPMS Kit" - $172 Set
    "Optional Black Valve Sleeve and Cap-Only For TPMS Valve Stem" - $12 Set

After Taxes that comes out to $683.32 (After Rebate).

My Primary Question is around the TPMS system. I would like to avoid having to go to a Dealership / Mechanic before and after each winter.

If I buy the TPMS system can I sync it to my Mirage or do I need the Dealership to sync the TPMS to my Mirage?
    Is this a one-time sync or will I need to do it before and after each Winter?

Also there is not a lot of information about the "Optional Black Valve Sleeve and Cap-Only For TPMS Valve Stem". Does anyone know what this is or if I need it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.2 mpg (US) ... 17.1 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.3 mpg (Imp)

Getting a dedicated set of wheels for the winter tires is definitely the way to go. Not only are they more convenient (you can do the fall/spring wheel swap yourself), they'll save you money in the long run (avoiding annual installation & balance charges).

As for the TPMS, if it were my car, I would just skip it on the winter set. I monitor my own tire pressures. However I don't know what happens when you put the "summer" wheels back on in the spring... will the TPMS system automatically recognize the sensors and the light goes out on its own? I've never had TPMS so I'm not familiar with dealing with the light.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    So I have never owned Winter Tires in the past but I am strongly considering it. I live in Northeast Ohio and we get a lot of snow off of Lake Erie. I consider myself pretty handy but I have never known very much about cars. I'm trying to learn more with Mirage.

I would like to be able to switch between Winter Tires and my Original Tires without needing to stop by a Dealership or Mechanic. So I am leaning towards buying a new set of rims and tires so I can swap them out before and after each winter.

So I did a quick search on TireRack.com and they came back with this:

Dunlop Winter Maxx 165/65R14 - $210 Set (After Rebate)
    &
    14" Steel Wheels - $180 Set

They also offer:
    "TPMS Kit" - $172 Set
    "Optional Black Valve Sleeve and Cap-Only For TPMS Valve Stem" - $12 Set

After Taxes that comes out to $683.32 (After Rebate).

My Primary Question is around the TPMS system. I would like to avoid having to go to a Dealership / Mechanic before and after each winter.

If I buy the TPMS system can I sync it to my Mirage or do I need the Dealership to sync the TPMS to my Mirage?
    Is this a one-time sync or will I need to do it before and after each Winter?

Also there is not a lot of information about the "Optional Black Valve Sleeve and Cap-Only For TPMS Valve Stem". Does anyone know what this is or if I need it?
    The system will have to resync everytime you switch sets of tires. You won't have to do anything. It will reset itself after a short period of driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The system will have to resync everytime you switch sets of tires. You won't have to do anything. It will reset itself after a short period of driving.
    Do you know this first hand? thx

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Do you know this first hand? thx
    That's the way it worked on my Jeep. The light would come on after switching over and within about 10 miles it would go out. It's not actually syncing, it just captures the info broadcast from the sensor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    On my Space Star the dealer had to sync every sensor of the winter tires to the second memory place - you canīt do this your own if you donīt have the OBD-software, cables, laptop and the reading device for the sensors. If you have a set of sensors on both memory places, you can switch your own between the sets. Therefore you have to go to the right menu and hold the button pressed for the right set of sensors until the display begins to blink. Then the car starts to read in the set of sensors on the next few hundred meters.

That is how it works for the european model.

I think, this should be described in the manual, too, but didnīt look for this topic until now.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 25Plus View Post
    On my Space Star the dealer had to sync every sensor of the winter tires to the second memory place - you canīt do this your own if you donīt have the OBD-software, cables, laptop and the reading device for the sensors. If you have a set of sensors on both memory places, you can switch your own between the sets. Therefore you have to go to the right menu and hold the button pressed for the right set of sensors until the display begins to blink. Then the car starts to read in the set of sensors on the next few hundred meters.

That is how it works for the european model.

I think, this should be described in the manual, too, but didnīt look for this topic until now.
    Wow, that's a real pain

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like I'll probably just get the Rims/Tires and skip the TPMS.

Will the Mirage make any audible indicators that it is missing the TPMS, or just the dashboard light?
    Will the Mirage pick up on the TPMS on the Original tires when I remount them in the Spring?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.2 mpg (US) ... 17.1 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It will pick up on the sensors when you remount in the spring. It may take a drive cycle or two.

I wouldn't bother with the TPMS in the winter tires. Buy a $2 gauge.

I HIGHLY recommend snow tires. I have had snow tires on all of my vehicles. I love when my FWD ford focus can pass stuck AWD suvs on the hill where I live.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    That's the way it worked on my Jeep. The light would come on after switching over and within about 10 miles it would go out. It's not actually syncing, it just captures the info broadcast from the sensor.
    On Toyotas (also Nissans and bunch of other cars) you have to either go to dealer or garage to change TPMS IDs. Or buy ATEQ TPMS tool and DIY.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)