Thread: Quality synthetic gear oil recommendation for manual transmission/5MT Mirage?

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Quality synthetic gear oil recommendation for manual transmission/5MT Mirage?

BTW, may I ask if somebody has already found a way to DIY gear oil change for our 2013 Mirage MT. Can someone recommend a better quality FS gear oil with same viscosity of 75W-80 than what is being offered by Mitsubishi.

I'm thinking of changing my gear oil at 5T Km PMS. Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Why are you convinced that the OEM gear oil is not high quality? I would be surprised if it wasn't. Good oil is cheap insurance, and it also effects efficiency which is this car's forte. Have you seen an oil analysis done on them to prove anything is going wrong?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

I'd be pleasantly surprised if the OEM oil was fully synthetic. Given the car's low price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    In the quantities they're buying oil in for all the different vehicles they make, going to synthetic is going to add maybe $30 to the price of the car. Totally worth it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Here in PH, our gear oil is GL-4 full Dino manufactured by Amalie oil company in USA. I don't know what batch year, but Mitsubishi-Philippines and Amalie have this agreement for about 10 years now. I don't have enough trust in this oil, my former brand really drained the gear oil at 5K and replaced it with a FS made by Fuch Germany, although it is not stated in the manual. That car is MT, but the oil drained really looked like ATF. The other car we have when drained at 5T km, have those very noticeable metallic powders especially on its magnetized drained plug.

So, its kind of traditional now in my part to replace the gear oil as early as that. Our family owns a 1979 mirage which is still in running condition, but has developed a sort of whining transmission sound after few years of use.

Gerami - hope you don't mind I split your gear oil question into a new thread.

I have experienced a situation where the owner's manual for a manual transmission car called for the wrong viscosity of oil compared to the oil that came in it from the factory. Using the replacement oil grade from the manual (a heavier oil) would cause the synchros to grind when the gears were changed quickly, yet the factory oil did not have this problem.

So it's worthwhile paying attention to these things & using the most appropriate oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    As of now, my Mirage has the same tranny oil from Thailand. It seems that the standard gear oil viscosity here is SAE 90. In our Mirage manual (particular for Philippine market) the replacement viscosity is 75w-80, which is not available yet in my preferred service center.

What you said about the danger of using a thicker gear oil is illusive to a lot of ordinary car owners here, I've been fairly warned before by a service engineer about the oil starvation and early transmission damage it can create.