Thread: 15x6.5" Wheel, What Tire Size?!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

15x6.5" Wheel, What Tire Size?!

Hi,

I just bought a new 2015 Mirage DE :P I drive it on both city and highway every day for work. I put from 100-200 miles a day on it none stop (stop and go). I want to have a more standard size tire on my car to make future flats an easier problem to fix. Also the only tires that fit the stock 14" rim are $102 each. In a slightly larger size (15") I can find Summer tires from good brand names for almost half that price.

What size tire can I put on a 15"x6.5" Wheel? What is the largest size I can install without it EVER rubbing from a full bottom out or a full turn? I know someone on here has to know the answer. I would prefer to put 195/55 R15's on as they are a very common size. Less common, but still available everywhere are 195/50 R15's. I have contacted several shops around for wheel/tire install with the TPMS moved over from the stock rims. The one I trust the most doesn't want to install anything over 185/55 R15 on my car. The others will install anything I ask for (even if it doesn't fit).

Does anyone know for sure what the best size would be that doesn't rub? I need to install some summer/wet tires as I live in Florida and I need to be able to take corners without slowing down... The quicker I get to my destinations (alive) the more money I can make... I had the car drifting sideways at 40MPH on an on-ramp when the roads were damp. These Dunlops really suck...

Thank You,

-Chris P

Last edited by HitShane; 11-03-2015 at 03:43 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the same wheels... 195.50.15

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What is their reasoning? I can't imagine what it could possibly be. 195/50 is perfectly acceptable. Tire Rack has a ridiculously tight window for what they will consider acceptable and that is what size they show for +1
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I have the same wheels... 195.50.15
    You have these on your Mirage and they don't rub with a full bottom out or full turn on the steering wheel?

***High offset with 15x6.5?

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    What is their reasoning? I can't imagine what it could possibly be. 195/50 is perfectly acceptable. Tire Rack has a ridiculously tight window for what they will consider acceptable and that is what size they show for +1
    Do you have these on your car?

I'm guessing because you aren't supposed to stray more than 3% in any direction from stock when upgrading... This has to do with ABS, the ECU, and contact patch shape... Anything more than that requires retune and/or suspension modifications...

-Chris P
    Last edited by HitShane; 11-04-2015 at 06:54 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I think it has more to do with brake capacity.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    You have these on your Mirage and they don't rub with a full bottom out or full turn on the steering wheel?

***High offset with 15x6.5?
    No rubbing. Wish I would have remembered to check the offset before I rotated my wheels. *idiot*

Country
    United States
    Thanks

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-23-2015),inuvik (11-19-2015),kerc (11-24-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting you went with 185s.

I like my tires to be wider than the wheels. 185s, like yours, with 6.5 wide wheels, look like it's poking - which wouldnt be bad if you're dumped.

In fact, I used to have 205s and I liked that more.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ya, they are rim saver tires so they protect the lip from curb damage. The tires will fit a 7" rim, but 6.5 is the recommended size for them. They are wider than the rims when you look at them. The sidewall above the road looks chubby between it and the rim. Either way Driving in the rain for the first time was a treat. I was able to take 90 degree corners at 50-60MPH. No hydro planning what-so-ever. It carves right though the water and doesn't pull a bit. Dry traction is even better I use this car as a business vehicle though so I need the ride height for the severe dips and flash floods in Florida I ordered the Rear Sway bar and it comes in, in a couple weeks!!!

Another good thing about the Wheels I bought, is I can fit many different tire sizes, and that was actually the whole idea. I started out with the plus size and I may go up or down in the future. The sidewall height is at my disposal and for the same price as the crappy Dunlops, I can get Brand Name summer tires in multiple sizes...

Using 4, Rear, Bug Shock Springs looks nice at all 4 corners with some larger tires on it Prob runs great with the Sway Bar.

-Chris
    Last edited by HitShane; 11-22-2015 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Thoughts

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yah. I take elevated freeway bridges at almost twice the speed limit.