Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Got my mirage totaled, why won´t my airbags deploy?

It worked>

I didn't hit it but turned off the key, let it sit a while. Did a full scan of all the modules and no codes appeared other than one for the srs light on the cluster timing out or something. Cleared that one and now all is good. Hopefully this helps someone who's repairing one of these cars in the future.

To make a long scattered story short, if you repair a car with blown airbags
    -check the trouble codes. At first I figured I'd just have to replace the airbags and module. I forgot about the good chance that the clockspring plugs would be melted and didn't realize the seatbelts were toast too. The drivers one still worked fine and I didn't try the passenger one until I saw the codes.....

-replace all nfg parts as per trouble codes. I used the knee and steering wheel airbags along with the clockspring from a car that was hit in the passenger side rear wheel(Rh Seat and roof airbags were deployed in this car). I used the seatbelts and airbag module from a car that didn't have any airbags deployed. It had light front end damage but the car was written off because of a ridiculously high damage estimate.

-I was hopping the airbag module was gonna be plug and play like all the others I've replaced in the past. But that was about 10 years ago and apparently things have changed.

They don't make it easy, but it wasn't that hard if you have the proper junk. I used a 7 year old Autel maxisys mini scan tool to do this. I went into the airbag module section then went to coding, and fumbled my way through it. I plugged in the original module, saved the file from it then plugged in the "new" one, typed in the cars vin and it copied the file to it.

That didn't turn out very short....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-15-2022),inuvik (03-16-2022)

I messed up....
    I was almost ready to drive this thing over to the body shop but after pulling it out of my shop and turned the steering wheel the abs and traction control lights came on. Figured maybe I unplugged an abs sensor when I replaced the one fender. Scanned it and came up with a couple steering angle sensor codes in the abs computer. Checked the live data and when the wheel was pointing straight ahead the sensor read -360degrees... When I turned the wheel 360 to the left it reads 0. Looks like I installed the clockspring wrong.

Whoops!

Easy fix. I turned the wheel will the sensor read 0' (wheels were turned to the left). Removed steering wheel, turned clockspring 360 degrees to counter clockwise and re-installed steering wheel. Fixed. When you install the steering wheel it locates itself on the clockspring. Almost idiot proof.

Last edited by Fummins; 03-23-2022 at 10:06 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (03-24-2022)