Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got my mirage totaled, why won´t my airbags deploy?

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tate View Post
    It looks like the Mirage held up good but unfortunately it doesn't take much to really hurt these little cars. My daughter wrecked hers only going about 20mph and hit the back of a truck. It cost $7200 to fix it. I was shocked that it wasn't totaled.

Attachment 5031
    Really? My brother had his honda crashed into and it looks like nothing compared to your Mirage pic. It was hit in the bumper somewhere and was viewed as totaled because of some sensor was broken. Smh

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Repair that and the front section is clearly warped? That thing will never be straight again and you could be comprised in another collision..

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    My 4-and-a-half-month-old Mitsubishi, written off officially yesterday (rear ended 6 days ago). Front and rear damage, superficially doesn't look too bad.

Airbags didn't deploy, I was clobbered from behind and pushed into the car in front. Panel damage isn't too bad on the surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Air bags are a funny thing. I've seen many cases where you would think they should have gone off, but due to the angle or height of the impact they don't. I'm still always thankful for them being there, although a little less if Takata is stamped anywhere....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to flatbroke For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (03-11-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Can I have your driver's side mirror? Mine got sideswiped off today. Grr.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I'm bring back the high mileage car. It was in an accident a long time ago. Rear ended another vehicle, pretty hard. Blew both drivers wheel and knee airbags. The worst part was the rh frame horn is tweaked. I attempted to pull it out but quickly gave up. It's going to an actual bodyshop to get that repaired properly with a new(used) piece.

When the drivers airbag blew in this car the bag got so how it melted the connectors from the clockspring. So I just replaced both airbags and clock spring with one from a car that was hit in the rh 1/4 panel. That took care of 3 of the 9 airbag trouble codes stored. I'm pretty sure I have a good airbag module somewhere in a crate of parts. At least I hope I do....

Both front seatbelt pretensions are blown. The drivers seatbelt still functions but has to be replaced because of this, the passenger side belt is retracted completely and will not pull out at all.

So other than having to replace both seat belts, both front impact sensors and the airbag module, all that's left to do is replace rads, rad support, condenser,rad, bumper cover, hood, hood hinges, rh headlight, rh fender and some ac lines. Fun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I'll post some pics later if I remember.(My doorbell cam somehow ate all my data on my phone....and I'm too lazy to plug it into the confuser and do it that way).

I replaced the wheel airbag first. When the bags deployed the steering column covers separated. I couldn't get them to fit back together until I replaced the knee bolster airbag. It was so deformed that it was pushing up on the column cover stopping it from being put back in it's proper place. The lower black plastic piece that covers the brake light switch also had to be replaced as it was warped too.

I replaced the fender(lower most bolt that is behind rocker trim broke off inside the body seam...I'll let the body shop deal with that. Got the hood and rh hinge changed. Amazingly the rad and condenser don't seem to be punctured. They will need to be replaced though as they're tweaked pretty bad. The rh headlight is secured to the fender and zip tied to the mangled rad support so it looks good enough to drive a few blocks.

There's only 4 airbag codes left to clear, both seatbelt pretensioner codes and 2 for the airbag module itself. I was a little worried about plugging in "new"(non-deployed) airbags into a car that has a module that's throwing -collision decision- codes so I unhooked the battery before plugging them in, just in case. Probably didn't need to but I've had one go off in my hands before, they sting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

The last pic above is of a 2017 vs 2015 Air bag module. Just for ****'s I tried the 17 module in the 15 that I'm fixing to see if they're interchangeable. It doesn't look like it. The plugs are the same but I'm getting 2 codes for rear side g sensors being open. I assume the 2015 doesn't have rear impact sensors and just has the 2 in the b-pillars tucked outboard of the where the lower part of the seatbelt mounts.
    The other 2 codes were for a chassis no. mismatch and a communication code.
    Now to try a 2015 module and see if a chassis no mismatch code appears. I may have to copy data from the old module and write it to the "new"(used) module.

So I tried the 2015 airbag module that came from a car with light damage, no bags were deployed. Plugged it in only got a chassis mismatch code. Before trying this on a known "good" module I copied the info/chassis file from the original module then tried to write the chassis number to a module that already had the bags deployed, just to see what would happen. It copied the vin, but showed the fault codes from the original car(not the one I'm fixing).
    So I plugged in the "good" module and atempted to "write" the same file to it. It seemed to show the correct vin now but I can't clear the code...I'm gonna start hitting things with a stick and see how that works out.