Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my mirage totaled, why won´t my airbags deploy?

Country
    Panama
    Thanks

Angry Got my mirage totaled, why won´t my airbags deploy?

Hi guys!, So I was going like 40 km/h on my green light. This guy ran his red light, he suddenly appears in front of my car (his left side) and I hit him. He was driving a 2008 Isuzu D-max (pick up), his car made an 180º turn. The curious thing is that none of my airbags deployed, I was´nt injuried but I consider this a moderate impact. Another curious thing for you to know guys, is that the mirage still works! hahaha and the pick up won´t start or roll in neutral. But yeah, I would like to know if this is a massive fabric defect or is just my airbag sensors that may be not working. In my country, this safety features are not a requirement, so there´s not too much people with this kind of knowledge, not even at my car dealership. Thank you guys!
    (actually, my insurance company did´nt declare my car a total loss, the repair cost is 7,500 U.S. dollars)

Attached Images Attached Images        

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The impact to your Mirage appears to be from the right side primarily. The truck crossed your "T" to use a naval combat term, Under those circumstances the airbags most likely will not deploy. Their job is to catch your face as it moves towards the steering wheel and windshield, preventing you from being injured by either impact with the wheel or windshield.

Did your face-head hit either the steering wheel or windshield?

My guess would be you were thrown to the right side of your car, restrained by the shoulder harness and seat belt. Airbags are primarily for head on type impacts. I'm not sure if you have the side curtain airbags, but even if you did and there was no passenger, they might not have deployed either.

Your forward velocity at the instant of the impact was not quite enough to activate the airbags. Your front end is twisted towards the l left (drivers) side of the car. I have seen this happen many times. Even combined with being hit hard in the rear end you would still not want the airbags to deploy and remember they are still a "supplemental" restraint system designed to compliment the seat belt and shoulder harness which are your primary protection.

I see no system failure, they worked exactly they way they were designed to work.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (11-25-2015),CROSSBOLT (03-12-2022),Daox (11-24-2015),Kineo (02-09-2016),kreimerka (11-24-2015),laceygirl (11-24-2015),Teasmade (11-25-2015)

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    The impact to your Mirage appears to be from the right side primarily. The truck crossed your "T" to use a naval combat term, Under those circumstances the airbags most likely will not deploy. Their job is to catch your face as it moves towards the steering wheel and windshield, preventing you from being injured by either impact with the wheel or windshield.

Did your face-head hit either the steering wheel or windshield?

My guess would be you were thrown to the right side of your car, restrained by the shoulder harness and seat belt. Airbags are primarily for head on type impacts. I'm not sure if you have the side curtain airbags, but even if you did and there was no passenger, they might not have deployed either.

Your forward velocity at the instant of the impact was not quite enough to activate the airbags. Your front end is twisted towards the l left (drivers) side of the car. I have seen this happen many times. Even combined with being hit hard in the rear end you would still not want the airbags to deploy and remember they are still a "supplemental" restraint system designed to compliment the seat belt and shoulder harness which are your primary protection.

I see no system failure, they worked exactly they way they were designed to work.

regards
    mech
    Thank you! nope, my face did´nt hit the wheel. Now I fully understand, thank you for your time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Your Mirage took the hit pretty well all things considering!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Too bad, it's a nice looking car. I like the wheels. Did you change the brakes?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    I would not want that car repaired, if you were not at fault in the accident.

It is NOT worth what it was worth before the accident if it has been repaired. In my state Virginia, in the USA, there is a law that allows me to sue the insurance company for "diminished value".

I bought and rebuilt close to 200 cars damaged like that.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    Most of the damage to your car was done when it hit the left rear tire-wheel of the truck. The rear axle on the truck is severely misaligned and that was the greatest force in twisting your front end. That is what spun the truck 180 degrees. Surprized it did not roll over if the tire had jumped over your hood.

I did body repair for almost a decade.

regards
    mech
    Last edited by deleted user; 11-24-2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: structure

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It looks like it would be an easy fix. The damage looks like it primarily missed the frame rails. If parts are cheap for this car it could be a nice little project car. The air bags are not blown so that is even better. Look like core support is the main thing that was damaged under the bumper and fenders.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Your Mirage took the hit pretty well all things considering!
    Yes! actually better than my friend`s Kia Picanto, he had a similar crash.

Country
    Panama
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Too bad, it's a nice looking car. I like the wheels. Did you change the brakes?

Yes thank you! No, I just painted the calipers.