View Poll Results: Does the Mirage have "enough" power?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's absolutely fine - I hardly ever ask for max power

44 51.76%
  • It's adequate. Enough said.

30 35.29%
  • I wish it had more power for where I drive or the way I drive.

11 12.94%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Mirage owners: is 74 hp (or 78) "enough" power?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    When you call someone stupid you should probably use the correct you're...
    Allowances are made for those who stand in defense of the Mirage.

However, insults are to be avoided.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Your almost stupid not too."

I mean I'll defend the Mirage all day because the thing will last forever, it has an extremely clean burning motor, the engine needs infrequent oil changes, and it only requires minor maintenance. I love it. I just didn't agree with the absolutes in the above statement. I mean if he's a Sith Lord, then I'm completely okay with it.
    Last edited by HitShane; 06-28-2017 at 02:14 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did Grapevine with myself and 2 other individuals around 280lbs and it did keep 60 going up at 3800rpm. Its fine.
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I mean if he's a Sith Lord, then I'm completely okay with it.
    lolol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

"Your almost stupid not too."

I mean I'll defend the Mirage all day because the thing will last forever, it has an extremely clean burning motor, the engine needs infrequent oil changes, and it only requires minor maintenance. I love it. I just didn't agree with the absolutes in the above statement. I mean if he's a Sith Lord, then I'm completely okay with it.
    I'm with you. It does what it's supposed to do, cheap to buy, drive and maintain. I haven't driven one for more than 30 minutes at a time and probably won't anytime soon. I'm clearly way too stupid to buy one... But honestly, if I were looking for small reliable car the Mirage would be a no brainer. I'll just have to stick with my global warming, ice berg melting, smoke belching truck for the time being. Maybe this winter I'll convert to the small side if I spot a good deal on a used one?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I owned a 2015 Mirage ES in Starlight Silver (top trim) with CVT, Navigation, Back Up Camera, Appearance Package, Chrome Package, Bodyside Moldings, Center Console Arm Rest, Cargo Package, All weather Mats and more and the 74 horsepower never posed an issue.

I now own a 2017 Mirage G4 SE in Wine Red (top trim) with CVT, New Apple Carplay Android Auto Head Unit, Back Up Camera, Auto Dimming Rearview Mirror, Heated Seats, Color Keyed Bodyside Moldings, Cargo Package, Rear Spoiler, Chrome Exhaust Tip, All Weather Mats, Center Console Arm Rest, and more and it now has 78 horsepower. I have noticed my 2017 Mirage G4 SE is about 1 to 2 seconds slower to 60 mph than my 2015 Mirage ES I am guessing due to the extra weight. I know the 2015 in my model is rated at 2,051 lbs in the Mirage brochure and my 2017 G4 in my model is rated at 2,194 lbs.

Now my 2017 is alot smoother while running and at idle and the idle neutral logic feature seems to be smoother and more consistent on the 2017. My co worker has a 2015 that was identical to mine just in Infrared and when ai drive it each week ai can really feel the difference between my 2017 G4 SE and her 2015 Mirage ES. Also I notice my 2017 gets about 2 to 3 less mpg than my 2015 did and again im guessing due to the extra weight and the hatch is ever so slightly more aerodynamic.

But in the end with 74 or 78 horsepower it is plenty for me I have never had any issues overtaking on the interstate or any maneuvering I have needed to do.

I will only buy Mirages for this day forward as they are great cars. I have owned many new cars such as: 2013 Hyundai Elantra, 2010 Kia Soul, 2008 Hyundai Sonata, 2005 Chevy Cavalier, 2003 Hyundai Accent, 2002 Kia Rio all of which were new. I have also owned a few used cars back when such as: 1989 Ford Probe and a 1996 Plymouth Breeze. I have not bought used since 2001 and never will again I like a new car as I take really good care of them and like to add OEM accessories and such which Mitsu gives you plenty you can add lol.

But never once over all the years have I ever wanted to purchase the same car twice unil I got my new 2015 Mirage ES I knew it would also be my next car and when the updated 2017s came out I knew thats what I wanted so thank you Mitsubishi!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirage ES Navi For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-30-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    When you call someone stupid you should probably use the correct you're...

Edit: sorry I couldn't help it
    No offense taken. I often type things out quick on my phone and the grammar doesn't always end up so perfect. Plus here in Canada some of our spelling is a little different so take that into account. Anyways though probably would have corrected me too ifi owned a keyboard.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For me the HP is sufficient. But my driving style is a very controlled and careful one so I had no problem transitioning to the Mirage.

I was interested in hypermiling and saving money so fast accelerations are not a part of the gameplan anyway. This car can save your life too because it will dissuade you from jumping out into traffic and cutting off another car. Im talking about the high risk and dangerous driving that I see other people doing because they have a V6 or whatever. We see them everyday at the scene of an accident with their cars totalled after making a bad move.

Even though a subcompact is going to absorb more damage in an accident I dont see so many of them involved in a car accident because you learn a new way to drive when you have a subcompact and you recognize the cars limitations and wont be so quick to pull out into fast traffic in a reckless manner or to be passing other cars at >90mph (>145 kph) on the motorway
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I was interested in hypermiling and saving money so fast accelerations are not a part of the gameplan anyway. This car can save your life too because it will dissuade you from jumping out into traffic and cutting off another car. Im talking about the high risk and dangerous driving that I see other people doing because they have a V6 or whatever. We see them everyday at the scene of an accident with their cars totalled after making a bad move.

Even though a subcompact is going to absorb more damage in an accident I dont see so many of them involved in a car accident because you learn a new way to drive when you have a subcompact and you recognize the cars limitations and wont be so quick to pull out into fast traffic in a reckless manner or to be passing other cars at >90mph (>145 kph) on the motorway
    I totally agree with this. I currently own a car with more horsepower than I need for my 100% city traffic, and although I'm a generally careful driver, the power does tempt me to drive more aggressively than is sometimes wise. I haven't test-driven a Mirage yet, but I seriously doubt that the lack of power would be a problem. If most of your driving is from 0-50 MPH in urban traffic, you're never going to be using all of the Mirage's horsepower unless you are driving like a jerk. And the low horsepower *should* keep you from doing stupid things like trying to squeeze in a left-hand turn in the face of oncoming traffic.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mainertodd For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-04-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    I totally agree with this. I currently own a car with more horsepower than I need for my 100% city traffic, and although I'm a generally careful driver, the power does tempt me to drive more aggressively than is sometimes wise. I haven't test-driven a Mirage yet, but I seriously doubt that the lack of power would be a problem. If most of your driving is from 0-50 MPH in urban traffic, you're never going to be using all of the Mirage's horsepower unless you are driving like a jerk. And the low horsepower *should* keep you from doing stupid things like trying to squeeze in a left-hand turn in the face of oncoming traffic.
    I agree with this sentiment. Driving a modestly powered car has a tendency to rein in both aggressive driving and the ego.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-04-2017),MetroMPG (07-11-2017)