View Poll Results: Does the Mirage have "enough" power?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's absolutely fine - I hardly ever ask for max power

44 51.76%
  • It's adequate. Enough said.

30 35.29%
  • I wish it had more power for where I drive or the way I drive.

11 12.94%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Mirage owners: is 74 hp (or 78) "enough" power?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    There 's a difference between need and want. As is Mirage is fine 95% of the time filling out the role of the basic transportation. Is there a niche for performance EVO version of it? yes I believe so.
    I'd be shocked if Mitsubishi did this, unless the Mirage becomes the next 'in' car and they start selling 5000 of them per month.

It takes A LOT of money and investment to not just develop a new motor, but also to get it certified for sale in the US. They aren't going to do that to sell 20 'Mirage Ralliart Turbo Evolution' models in the US every month.

Besides, nobody would pay $20k+ for one anyway. We had better get used to the idea of the Mirage being an econobox, as Mitsubishi has already said their days of manufacturing hot rods are over.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

2of9 (06-22-2016),Eggman (06-23-2016),ioriknight (12-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I'd be shocked if Mitsubishi did this, unless the Mirage becomes the next 'in' car and they start selling 5000 of them per month.

It takes A LOT of money and investment to not just develop a new motor, but also to get it certified for sale in the US. They aren't going to do that to sell 20 'Mirage Ralliart Turbo Evolution' models in the US every month.

Besides, nobody would pay $20k+ for one anyway. We had better get used to the idea of the Mirage being an econobox, as Mitsubishi has already said their days of manufacturing hot rods are over.
    Well a 1.2l Mirage with a small turbo making 30 more HP is hardly a hotrod :P But, it would be a Mirage with 40% more HP Maybe, they could make it a $2k option once you already pick the top trim...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    Well a 1.2l Mirage with a small turbo making 30 more HP is hardly a hotrod :P But, it would be a Mirage with 40% more HP Maybe, they could make it a $2k option once you already pick the top trim...
    Seeing that the 17' Mirage SE (w/CVT trans) is already averaging around 16-17k for one, a turbocharged trim would probably be either in that range or more depending on the options. I would have gladly paid 12k for a turbocharged Mirage IF it was ever made. But, in the 16-18k range, you can get a much more sportier ride. I hope Mitsu rolls in a turbocharged Mirage someday. I would consider trading mine in for one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I came out of a 235 hp rwd crown Victoria police inteceptor with 4.6L 2 valve and jmod 4 spd auto. What I miss is the intimidation factor. I feel invisible in my mirage. And the jmod transmission on the Vic was awesome for quick acceleration
    But I'm digging the mirage. It has way more options than the Vic. And no rust, matching tires, no rust, and a car note lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 38.7 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonJellyBean View Post
    I came out of a 235 hp rwd crown Victoria police inteceptor with 4.6L 2 valve and jmod 4 spd auto. What I miss is the intimidation factor. I feel invisible in my mirage. And the jmod transmission on the Vic was awesome for quick acceleration
    But I'm digging the mirage. It has way more options than the Vic. And no rust, matching tires, no rust, and a car note lol.
    I like being invisible in my Mirage. I fly past cops going 20 over and they just see a slow looking smart car lol. They don't even waste their time aiming the radar at me while they are parked using their radar HAHAHAHAHHAhahahahaaaa.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

daleWV (12-13-2016),Remy (12-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I could care less about the engine ever being turbo charged. I would just love it to be GDI, boosting both the HP and MPG just a bit. I'd rather not have the possibility of a turbo repair, and recent tests show with the power you don't see the mpg gains in normal driving. No thanks.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    With reports of direct gas injection engines suffering problems with carbon buildup on valves, I would choose another design.

Consumer Reports: Direct-injection engines improve performance and save fuel, but at a price

Quote Originally Posted by Consumer Reports Published: February 17, 2015 02:30 PM
    Although the breakthrough seems like a dream come true, an unwanted side effect has been emerging. Letter writers have complained to Consumer Reports and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that over time DI can lead to clogged fuel systems and engine carbon buildup. The result can be engine hesitation and a loss of power—and the need for expensive repairs.

Some carmakers, including BMW and Kia, have issued technical service bulletins (TSBs) to their dealers recommending that drivers use only name-brand detergent gasoline—without ethanol additives—and that they periodically add a fuel-system cleaner when they refuel. (A TSB is an alert that the automaker sends to dealers to warn about ongoing problems with individual models and how to fix them. It may allow dealers to make repairs at little or no cost to the customer as a goodwill gesture.)
    See also: TopTierGas.com

I am glad Mitsubishi decided to stick with proven technology, and still produced an efficient, safe and cost-effective automobile.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

HitShane (12-13-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep, I had an Optima and well aware of the TSB, used Techron like advised and never had a problem. Not an issue with over 200k, I'll take the GDI engine without hesitation, 'some owners' are what you hear about over the 'majority' without a problem, just like every other topic. I see you point though.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The new ND Miata came out this year and there was a lot of talk about how the engine was under powered and that the US market wasn't getting the larger engine or turbo options. I've had the car on the track already, it doesn't need it. The weight to power ratio is superb and the balancing is as tuned in as it gets. But the American market is full of people who don't understand any of that. They just see how many sedans have more horses.
    The truth is (and its the exact same with the Mirage) it is "More fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car fast."

Now, I would personally like just a little bit more power out of the car, the Atlanta area is full of people in much larger cars driving much faster. It would come in handy for some take off and merges but that's about it. For regular driving or in traffic it performs great and is invisible to the police. What more could you ask for.

And yeah, going from 18-20mpg in the Miata to 38-42mpg in the Mirage is a huge difference.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Remy For This Useful Post:

HitShane (12-13-2016),Minihaha (12-23-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drive my Mirage for fuel economy and rarely push it, but I recently put on oversized snow tires and between that and the switch to winter gas blend, the economy has gone to hell, so I've been a little less stringent with my gentle driving and have started pushing it a bit. And it does have more power than I expected, though off the line isn't great. That said, I do prefer less strained power delivery and there are economy cars out there that can get up and go in a far less strained manner than our beloved Mirage. The direct injected Honda Fit comes to mind. So yes, the Mirage can move well enough if pressed, but it isn't a particularly pleasing sensation. I look forward to the return of summer gas and low rolling resistance tires. P.S. Mirage is much more pleasant to drive in smooth traffic than in stop and go. Sustained speeds good, getting up to speed repeatedly - not so good.