Thread: No more Lancer, Galant, Pajero!

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Unhappy No more Lancer, Galant, Pajero!

See here

http://www.autoindustriya.com/news/m...nt-pajero.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (12-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ahh, Mitsubishi. I still think the models they're discontinuing beat carmakers like Chrysler, for instance, who survives because of the Ram truck and Americans who still think everyone in America needs to "buy 'Merican." Please. I loved my '08 Lancer GTS. I hated that it's engine had to snap, but, the serpentine belt or timing chain destructed at 130,000-odd miles. I traded the shell of the car in because my wife and I needed transportation, but, that part was recalled 2-3 weeks later. I won't hold that problem entirely against Mitsubishi. Would that happen to say, a 2017 Mirage I might buy? Don't really think so.

Mitsubishi has a right, in fact an obligation, to do what's right for their employees, their stockholders, executives, etc. Why this severe hatred for their leadership, here? Come on, PHEV vehicles, an updated Mirage, no more i-MEV, these are good, smart decisions.

Oh yeah, my '08 Lancer GTS was a great rig. I hated to trade it's motorless hulk in for only $2,000. And pick out our next rig under necessity in early July of 2014. Don't get me wrong, I'm on my 3rd Kia, this one a '11 Soul base clear white 5-speed. Kia's are good, and, what's so very cool about them, Kia's engineering group is sound as a pound. Their cars are sound and good-looking, too. And, what's also so nice, they're affordable. Ford is probably as close an American carmaker I can get that could only hope to produce and provide me what I want for a mostly-affordable price. Chevy Spark? Come on. Can't even imagine buying a new Chevy in the 2000's.

It's going to take a great '17 and/on Mirage or Outlander Sport ta grab me away from Kia Motors. But, I'm game to take a good, long, enjoyable gander, dudes. And the occasional dudettes who not only love cars but agree ta get on the worldwide web and have some fun discussing small automobiles.

Keep rockin' in the free world. Opinions and questions are encouraged here.
    Last edited by Mitsuman; 12-04-2015 at 12:04 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsuman For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (12-04-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I like the Mirage because it is the car I want. I bought it because there isn't really anything else like it. My second choice was the Honda Fit, and it was a close second, but lost as it used more fuel, cost more, and was considerably more complex (Direct Injection).

Mitsubishi of course needs to do what makes sense for them. That said, I wish car companies would be more individual/specialized in making unique products. The Outlander and RVR seem like nice vehicles, but they also seem so very similar to a dozen or so other SUV's. Yet, who in the North American market offers an off-road minivan, or a small diesel pick-up? I'm no MBA, but to me competing with the Rav-4, CR-V, Jeep Cherokee, and Ford Edge might be tougher to do than carving out a niche market. No one who seriously wants a Jeep Wrangler is cross-shopping Honda, and that's because the Wrangler is unique. Likewise, the Delica is unique . . . basically I want a Delica!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Put another way, what is "best" about the Lancer, other than the warranty? The Mazda3 has more power and better fuel economy. The Honda Civic/Toyota Corolla have greater availability of aftermarket parts, a better reputation, and more dealers. Subaru has great resale, and arguably a better awd system. The Chevy Cruz is less expensive, and the Hyundai Elantra is better equipped and less expensive. That's a tough market to be in, and with less margin, it makes sense to not sell the Lancer.

For the same reasons, it does make sense to sell the Mirage (lowest price + best fuel economy + longest warranty), and other more specialized vehicles. I would also like a mini-truck that was 4x4 and diesel, if possible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh yeah, the new world order Mitsubishi Mirage makes sense for Mitsubishi ta make and sell. The nice sales numbers are supporting their decision and encouraging them to design and produce the 2017 Mirage for the worldwide market. The car just answers so many people's questions about affordability and great fuel economy and excellent Warranty service.

Sounds like they really want ta focus on SUV vehicles, of course not standard ICE SUV's - but SUV bodystyles propelled by the plethora of methods available and under development now. That's fine - there will be no more Galant, either. That's a sound decision in my mind, too.

Oh, the Lancer compact sedan? I caught a glimpse of an article regarding Mitsubishi talking to Nissan about sharing platforms, production lines and engineering on an all-new compact sedan for Mitsubishi. I haven't read the article - I'll look for it and see what it might say about this venture. But they're getting the Mitsubishi NA ship turned away from the killer iceberg that was fixed dead in their path.

And this new 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage is going to be fun ta follow, too. Not sure it's for me, but, I'm in on the hunt for new and different automotive designs that save gas, are cheap ta buy and operate, and have that excellent Warranty. The Company might re-consider how they treat people who have praised them up and down on the net for years, as in I regarding my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, however. Most people would trade the hulk of their Lancer GTS in for a car that they could afford and they liked were they ta be in a situation similar to my wife and I's in early July 2014.

For Mitsubishi to not offer us any compensation hurts, though. I know the recall came 2-3 weeks later in the mail after we had already traded our '08 Lancer GTS in on a used 2011 Kia Soul, but, Mitsubishi's team knew that belt was bad before our '08 Lancer GTS suffered a catastrophic engine breakdown on Highway 54 in southern New Mexico on June 30, 2014. Compensation would have been the right business decision ta make for our situation. The car had been paid off in May of 2013, so that was cool. But I wanted that car ta last way more than 130,000 miles. That we traded in before calling Mitsubishi might've negated any interest Mitsubishi felt they needed ta honor in our case, but, I believe in a honest handshake policy. When I bought my Lancer in March of 2007, I had no intention of bailing on my 6-year note on the car. And I didn't bail, I paid the car off in full.

Mitsubishi bailed on my wife and I. It's not the legality of the decision that bites, it's the bad business decision they made that makes a crappy impression. Will I ever buy Mitsubishi products again? Don't know but it won't be a decision I take lightly before I make it.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I would also like a mini-truck that was 4x4 and diesel, if possible.
    hehe not a truck but a 4x4 mini diesel Suzuki Jimny
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  39.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    The Jimmy is a great small 4x4. Suzuki has been making it for a long time and is one tough little vehicle that can take on really tough terrain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

That is kind of...cute. But I'll bet it is tough in the tougher terrain. I had a crush on a red 2010 Suzuki Kizashi in 2010. My offer was not good enough for the dealer so I walked - actually drove away in my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in Rally Red.

Then I realized that I had hastily drove away and forgot my AZ driver's license. Whoops. All ended well but the red 2010 Kizashi was a 6-speed stick that I very much wanted. I am a Suzuki fan.
    Last edited by Mitsuman; 12-06-2015 at 09:18 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh, the Lancer compact sedan? I caught a glimpse of an article regarding Mitsubishi talking to Nissan about sharing platforms, production lines and engineering on an all-new compact sedan for Mitsubishi. I haven't read the article - I'll look for it and see what it might say about this venture. But they're getting the Mitsubishi NA ship turned away from the killer iceberg that was fixed dead in their path.

BTW - ignore this part of my post above. The interview with Mitsubishi's CEO clearly stated that the Lancer compact sedan is dead and they're not bringing another compact sedan to market, either. I think I'm in denial - I loved so much my '08 Lancer GTS compact sedan.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsuman View Post

BTW - ignore this part of my post above. The interview with Mitsubishi's CEO clearly stated that the Lancer compact sedan is dead and they're not bringing another compact sedan to market, either. I think I'm in denial - I loved so much my '08 Lancer GTS compact sedan.
    Just when I am considering getting an SE awc

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)