Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil level

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    In my case, I guess the dealership poured a whole gallon of oil during the oil change. that could also be true for mitsumi.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    @cyclopathic
    yep thats also what i was thinkig if it was just a tiny bit it'll be fine but as described mitz, i have the same markings.

@mitz
    i was also thinking the same that the mechanic kust poured the oil without checking how much he poured into the engine. tsk tsk

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Really surprised no one has said anything reasonable about what could:

1. Ruin your engine
    2. Void your warranty

The only truly definitive way of getting that oil out, is to undo the drain plug.

Yup, you need ANOTHER other change, and to those who wonder if it's safe, it's NOT safe when you're half-inch or more above the top-fill mark. You'll be fine if it's at the top fill mark or a hair above, but when you're talking an inch above, you're in real trouble with aeration and foaming problems.

It will VOID your warranty if you leave it that way. Take it to the dealer and have dealer fix it at no cost. That is what any reasonable dealership should do for you since they screwed up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    i was also thinking the same that the mechanic kust poured the oil without checking how much he poured into the engine. tsk tsk
    Very common for dealership techs to not check the level after pouring. If you know the proper amount to put in, you don't really need to. I guess the tech thinks it needs more than it does.

Take it to the dealer and get them to fix the level. They'll likely just put it in the air, drain a bit out, and then check the level (not completely change the oil and filter), which is fine.

I can't really see how far it is up on your dipstick, but it's worth getting corrected. I wouldn't really worry about 100ml extra. 300ml extra, I would.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  79.2 KB
    here i put a marking on the picture. sorry im using my ipad and i dont have much app for a picture editor so i used a text as marking. The top of the "U" represents where it shows the mark when the engine was cold.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mitsumi For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-04-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Definitely too high for my liking.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nickpon For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  79.2 KB
    here i put a marking on the picture. sorry im using my ipad and i dont have much app for a picture editor so i used a text as marking. The top of the "U" represents where it shows the mark when the engine was cold.
    Way too high, I agree with @Mitz, the dealership likely dumped 4 quarts in it. I recently had my first oil change in my Mirage but I provided the oil and filter and only gave them enough to do the change, no extra. Definitely suck some of that out if you can.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I nearly made the mistake of dumping in a full quart to take the level on the dipstick to top line (in the older cars usually bottom mark to top mark was about a quart) doing so probably would have had mine way overfilled.

My dipstick is honestly so shiny and the oil is so clean it is very hard to tell a good level, plus the way the dipstick twists into the guide hole seems to smear the line. Dealership paperwork claim that fluid levels are "Ok" just 2 days ago.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't worry, I doubt you will get enough if any aeration with a modern synthetic oil to be problematic. My car has the same oil level, I wonder if the techs are overfilling most peoples cars. If there was enough aeration I think the oil pressure would drop and the light would come on.

I would however go buy a long clear skinny plastic tube at an auto store, insert it into the oil stick tube, and suck a bunch of oil into the tube and then let it gravity drain until you have enough taken out. Warm the engine up so the oil flows better and try not to breath in to much oil fumes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts

Fumitomo Oil Drain Plug Valve

This ought to help. I first saw this device in this thread.

Dorman lists this oil drain plug for the Mirage:
    Dorman Products 090-075 Oil Drain Plug Standard M14-1.50, Head Size 17mm

Name:  090-075-001.JPG
Views: 749
Size:  39.8 KB

This Fumoto valve is a match, and should thread right in to replace the original: Fumoto F-106N Engine Oil Drain Valve With Nipple

Name:  F106N.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  76.0 KB

And can be found on Amazon

Fumoto lists the nipple size as 3/8" - 10 mm. Attach a 3/8" size hose and drain oil down as needed to a clean container. Continue this for enough oil changes to get a free oil change, and pay for the drain valve.

The dealership must like you to give you extras.

Last edited by Eggman; 12-05-2015 at 07:42 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)