Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil level

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have seen that thread as well, and I gotta say, that's a terrible thing to replace your drain plug with.

There is way too much of a chance of that valve slipping and losing all of your oil. Note the "NOT RECOMMENDED for engines with low ground clearance" and "Drive carefully at all times, and if you run over any foreign object on the road pull over and check the valve for any damage or leak" warnings. Absolute garbage, especially at that price.

Back on topic, I don't see much point in MacGyvering a tube to get the oil out...why not get it done for free at the dealer?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickpon View Post
    Back on topic, I don't see much point in MacGyvering a tube to get the oil out...why not get it done for free at the dealer?
    Its because, here in the Philippines if you want to get out from the dealer early and be serviced early you have to come early as 6AM to the dealer to be the first in line. Sometimes it takes hours of waiting before your car gets served

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickpon View Post
    I have seen that thread as well, and I gotta say, that's a terrible thing to replace your drain plug with.

There is way too much of a chance of that valve slipping and losing all of your oil. Note the "NOT RECOMMENDED for engines with low ground clearance" and "Drive carefully at all times, and if you run over any foreign object on the road pull over and check the valve for any damage or leak" warnings. Absolute garbage, especially at that price.
    You must not have browsed Fumoto's website and viewed their locking devices, which while they are no guarantee, they at least reduce the chance that the valve will accidentally open and release all your engine oil. If you don't like it, by all means don't buy it. I don't suppose you advocate siphoning motor oil by mouth...

According to the Fumoto FAQ page:
    Q: Could the Oil Drain Valve accidentally open while in use?

A. No. The Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve's simple and reliable locking system consisting of 2 distinct actions makes accidental openings virtually impossible during normal driving conditions.

FOR USERS OPERATING VEHICLES IN EXTREME CONDITIONS
    If you operate your vehicle on rough terrain or in conditions where objects may strike the oil drain area (ie. logging, off-road, farming), we recommend installing a lever clip. A lever clip firmly secures the lever in the locked position at all times and prevents accidental openings.
    I don't see the Mirage as a low-clearance vehicle. Nor is it a logging truck, an off-roader, nor is it a farming implement.

For all others who might still consider using one of these valves, Fumoto has these solutions to address accidental valve opening:

Fumoto HC-58: HOSE CLIP 5/8" - SMALL
    Name:  HC-58.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  59.1 KB
    * FOR EXTREME USERS. If you operate your vehicle on rough terrain or in conditions where objects may strike the oil drain port location (i.e.. logging, off-road, farming), we recommend installing a hose clip. A hose clip firmly secures the lever in the locked position for extra safety and security. Fits F series valves. Also available in most hardware stores.

Specifications:
    Diameter: 5/8"

Or this: Fumoto LC-10: Small Lever Clip For All F-series Fumoto Valves
    Name:  LC-10_1_1_1_1.jpeg
Views: 779
Size:  5.5 KB
    LC-10 LEVER LOCKING CLIP

Using the Lever Clip confirms that the valve is 100% closed because the clip cannot be properly attached while the lever is not in the locked position with the valve. In addition, the Lever Clip prevents the valve from opening accidentally while driving under the extreme conditions such as off-road, bush areas, etc.
    HOW TO USE:

1. Confirm the valve is closed. The lever must be in the locked position in order to attach the clip.
    2. Insert the lever clip against the lever until it clicks. You must see the clip's "Fumoto" logo without it being upside-down.
    3. To remove it, just pull it out with your fingers pinching around the logo part.

Here is a complete kit: Fumoto Oil Drain Valve Kit for DIY Oil Changes with F106S (14mm-1.5)
    Name:  GIFTSET_2_1_1_1.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  11.4 KB
    Our complete oil drain valve kits are now available. This package contains a S-type Fumoto Valve, a hose, a lever clip, a straight, ribbed plastic socket and an elbow-shaped plastic socket. All your oil drain tools in one complete set.

FUMOTO ENGINE OIL DRAIN VALVE KIT

Fumoto Valve is a handy tool to help you change oil quickly and easily! All your oil drain needs in one complete package. This kit contains:

S-type Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve with a blue fiber gasket
    F-Socket: Plastic Socket to secure the F-hose to the short nipple valve
    SL-Socket: L-shaped Plastic Socket to redirect the oil flow in 360 degrees
    F-hose: 3ft. Clear Vinyl Tubing 3/8" ID
    Small Lever Clip: Maintains lever is securely locked at all times.

S-TYPE FUMOTO ENGINE OIL DRAIN VALVE

Our S-Type Engine Oil Drain Valves have a short nipple, which allows you to attach a hose to it for convenient draining. S-type valves have been specifically designed for general automotive users who are concerned with their vehicle's low ground clearance but want the option of using a hose. To use the S-Type Valve, simply insert the SH-10 socket/SL-10 socket into the hose opening, then snap the socket (along with the hose) on to the short nipple and drain your oil.

HOW TO INSTALL:
    Remove the original drain plug from your oil pan and drain oil completely.
    Insert Fumoto Valve with a gasket (except for NPT threads).
    Use a cresent wrench to install Fumoto Valve. *Do not over tighten it. Don't use a socket wrench at the hex part of the nipple to install your valve. Make sure the valve is closed before refilling oil.

HOW TO USE:
    To open, lift the lever completely out of its seating and turn counter-clockwise 90 degrees.
    To close, simply return the lever to its original position, make sure the lever is fully seated.

WARNING:
    Some oil pans are designed with a recessed drain port which may prevent your Fumoto Valve from being fully seated. If the Fumoto Valve cannot be installed all the way without hitting the oil pan wall, please consider installing an extension-adapter.
    Drive carefully at all times, and if you run over any foreign object on the road pull over and inspect the valve for any damage or leak.
    Do not move the hose while draining the oil.
    Please remove the plastic socket after use.

LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
    Fumoto New York, Inc. offers LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY on the Fumoto products, protecting your purchase against faulty workmanship and/or material (must provide proof of purchase). Any defective product, will be replaced at no charge. This warranty does not cover any damages due to misuse, abuse, negligence or accident. This warranty is valid only in the United States and Canada. For more infomation, please visit our warranty policy page.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (12-05-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    The Fumoto valves are excellent products. Many oil drain pans have the drain plug on the side of the pan at the bottom so the valve nipple would protude horizontally, not vertically. I want to replace my drain plug with one. I've used them on 3 previous vehicles and never any issue with "acccidental" opening. Fleet operators love these because it takes almost all the mess out of oil changes. Fumoto has been around for a really long time and only put out a high quality product. I recommend them wholeheartedly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    aah .. I want one for my car..

Has anyone used/tried the stahlbus® oil drain valve?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    aah .. I want one for my car..

Has anyone used/tried the stahlbus® oil drain valve?
    That looks pretty cool.

However, I must confess - I am using neither of these products. But, I am familiar with the two types of valves, just from what I do for work. I would trust the ball valve from Fumoto more than a ball check valve because I have seen too many ball check valves get fouled from debris and not seal. If debris gets caught in the ball valve, the valve won't close and the lever won't seat. It is easier to clean a ball valve of debris; a ball check valve, not so much. I wonder if it can be disassembled for service?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    Attachment 4616
    here i put a marking on the picture. sorry im using my ipad and i dont have much app for a picture editor so i used a text as marking. The top of the "U" represents where it shows the mark when the engine was cold.
    Here's mine ..
    Name:  Oil Mark.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  88.4 KB

Improvised Oil Extractor
    Name:  My_oil_extractor.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  72.0 KB

it's rainy today .. will remove at least 350ml when the weather condition improves..

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Oil Extractor put into position..

Name:  Oil Exctract 1.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  31.9 KB

BUT .. cannot insert tubing deep enough to extract oil..

Name:  extractor tube.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  35.9 KB

will try to use a smaller diameter hose/tubing..

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    Oil Extractor put into position..

Name:  Oil Exctract 1.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  31.9 KB

BUT .. cannot insert tubing deep enough to extract oil..

Name:  extractor tube.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  35.9 KB

will try to use a smaller diameter hose/tubing..
    samething happened to me. ill buy some from a drugstore they have a smaller tube used for medical unlike the one bought in hardware store.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)