Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a1992 Dodge Stealth / Mitsu 3000 GT a Good Buy or No?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Is a1992 Dodge Stealth / Mitsu 3000 GT a Good Buy or No?

I have always loved the Mitsubishi 3000GT cars, and the Dodge Stealth clones too. Are they good buys? I found one online.. presumably is a good deal, just a few hours away, and in good shape all around, manual transmission like I want. Any Mitsu fans on here happen to have experience with the Dodge Stealths?

This is a 1992 Stealth, not sure the motor, it has a big fin on the back looks stock and what look to be factory stripes 2 black stripes on a navy blue car, paint and stripes all appear stock as well. I could be wrong. Any experience or knowledge is appreciated thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If it is the dodge stealth I would think twice. If it is priced right and runs, it could be a good project car. It really depends on how much you want one. I have always thought that they were cool cars. If it is a vr4 I would do just about anything I could, within reason, to buy it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BecauseRaceCar For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-29-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BecauseRaceCar View Post
    I have always thought that they were cool cars. If it is a vr4 I would do just about anything I could, within reason, to buy it.
    I'm thinking about buying it. R/T trim, so not vr4 AWD, or turbo. That's ok with me, likely easier to repair in the future that way.

I would rather a straight up Mitsubishi 3000 GT to a Dodge clone, but it's basically the same car, and impossible to find the real McCoy Mitsu around here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I'm thinking about buying it. R/T trim, so not vr4 AWD, or turbo. That's ok with me, likely easier to repair in the future that way.

I would rather a straight up Mitsubishi 3000 GT to a Dodge clone, but it's basically the same car, and impossible to find the real McCoy Mitsu around here.
    Nice thing about the Mitsubishi 3.0 V6 is that Chrysler used it in a bunch of vehicles for more than a decade so if the motor is shot finding a replacement engine is doable. Try to find a late 80’s early 90’s Mitsubishi anything is tough. Like a Turbo Colt or Mirage is next to impossible. Here’s a guy that stuffed a LS1 into a Starion. Skip to the first minute of the video to bypass this guys “commercial”.

https://youtu.be/RpmymrOoir4

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    "Good buy"? Hard to tell without a price and pics. I don't believe they are horrible sh!tboxes, if that is what you are asking.

I always thought these were pretty cool when they were new. If you dig it, can store it, can work on it, and can afford it, then I say go for it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    If you dig it, can store it, can work on it, and can afford it, then I say go for it.
    Key words right there. Toy cars - that is, ones that aren't daily drivers - come down to how much money you are willing and able to give away. If your financial situation is all set, then have fun while you can.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    "Good buy"? Hard to tell without a price and pics. I don't believe they are horrible sh!tboxes, if that is what you are asking.

I always thought these were pretty cool when they were new. If you dig it, can store it, can work on it, and can afford it, then I say go for it.
    Thanks Corbrajet, inuvik, and Eggman, I will try to reply to all of you in one post here.

Inuvik: good to know the 3.0 V6 was used across the Chrysler lineup, that would make finding exchangeable parts simpler for sure, in Canada where there aren't that many of these cars left.

Eggman - yep this would be a toy car for sure, but I want a fast car, and this is a unique,future collectable too. These are cult classic cars for a generation, especially with the whole Mitsubishi connection, and the Fast and Furious movies. You are right these summer sports cars could be a money pit, a fun one at that.

I have more than enough space here for storage, not sure about money, or time or even tools available. At the right price bam I think old Supra's are going for high $ value so maybe this is an investment.

This Dodge Stealth is still on the road apparently, so that's a good sign. Super high miles like 300,000 kms + looks good shape though.

Cobrajet: Def dig it, I would prefer or almost want one of these Stealths if it's drive-able right away. I'm not going to be welding frames together or anything, but some other basic stuff I can definitely do, after some tool upgrades.

If it’s got 300k and in Ontario I would expect a bondo bucket. Likely isn’t going to be mint. If you’re not mechanically inclined or have the cash to buy someone who is I’d save your money.
    Here’s a 3000gt for you. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...rce=ios_social
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-30-2019)

I can’t think of what dodge used that same engine? I know the had a 3.0l sohc in caravans and other fwd cars from the late 80’s til the 2000’s. But can’t think of any Dohc. There’s lots of stealths for sale around here, turbos, awd...some clean (appearing) ones with low mileage for $5-10k. Old cars are usually money pits. I’m slowly realizing that. Even if the seller says a car needs nothing, there’s a pretty good chance they’re full of the shat.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There’s lots of stealths for sale around here, turbos, awd...some clean (appearing) ones
    Thanks for the advice Fummins. The Stealth is not likely to be mint, but perhaps better than a bondo bucket, too. I have to see and drive the car first. Owner claims underneath is solid, that the car is on the road. Nice ride though! I am having second thoughts however.

Glad the one I am looking at at least isn't a VR4 or whatever, with the turbo and AWD. That sounds like more stuff to break, and also I don't want a former race car driver's car.