Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3A92 1.2L Mirage exhaust header by SuperCircuit

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    http://www.amazon.com/Blox-Racing-BX.../dp/B000W1XX4M

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    The flex joint on the OE manifold is there for a very good reason. Lots of engine movement in a sidewinder FWD design, thus the flex joint.

Eliminate the catalytic converter, possible emissions failure.

Add "antifouler" to "fool" emissions system, in HOPES of not triggering a cat failure code (emphasis on hope).

The single bung on a single runner for the 02 sensor, while the factory manifold collects all exhaust gases at the primary 02 sensor.

Not real impressed with the multiple extra welds that could be bends in the construction.

I predict:

1.Incorrectible sensor failure codes.
    2.Rapid gasket failure to say nothing of the stresses on the cylinder head studs.
    3.More OBD2 codes from the failed manifold gasket.

Sorry to rain on every ones parade, but that header will never be installed on my Mirage. Seen to many PO'ed customers when the header gasket failed on their Z cars (not sidewinder engine) forcing me to inform them that there would be no 1 year unconditional warranty on any header installation.

All this is based on first hand EXPERIENCE. The Z cars were not sidewinder engines and I had a motorsport header on my own car, but the flanges where the header met the cylinder head where the same thickness as the stock cast iron manifold and I still was lucky to see 2 years life out of the manifold gasket even using the stock Nissan part.

Apologies to anyone who may take this wrong. I doubt you will ever see this header shipped to the USA and if they do, when EPA gets wind of the cat elimination, they will go after the manufacturer (who will quickly go bankrupt) and the owners that had them shipped for intentionally violation of emissions laws, with subsequent fines ($2500 per offense).

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    agreed with no flex joint I think you would have problems down the line. As for the cat removal, when I had my exhaust done I had them remove the cat not providing feedback with no emition related problems.
    Last edited by silverstreak; 12-25-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

My header should be in soon

I can't wait should be in anyday I am going to dyno tune it before and after !!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by axeldsm1; 12-26-2015 at 03:02 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Let us know how it goes!! Interested in pics and how the mounting goes! As well as o2 sensors

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seems like you could do a shorty header, and keep the cat for US cars. Might end up with a "bundle of snakes" though.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    The flex joint on the OE manifold is there for a very good reason. Lots of engine movement in a sidewinder FWD design, thus the flex joint.

Eliminate the catalytic converter, possible emissions failure.

Add "antifouler" to "fool" emissions system, in HOPES of not triggering a cat failure code (emphasis on hope).

The single bung on a single runner for the 02 sensor, while the factory manifold collects all exhaust gases at the primary 02 sensor.

Not real impressed with the multiple extra welds that could be bends in the construction.

I predict:

1.Incorrectible sensor failure codes.
    2.Rapid gasket failure to say nothing of the stresses on the cylinder head studs.
    3.More OBD2 codes from the failed manifold gasket.

Sorry to rain on every ones parade, but that header will never be installed on my Mirage. Seen to many PO'ed customers when the header gasket failed on their Z cars (not sidewinder engine) forcing me to inform them that there would be no 1 year unconditional warranty on any header installation.

All this is based on first hand EXPERIENCE. The Z cars were not sidewinder engines and I had a motorsport header on my own car, but the flanges where the header met the cylinder head where the same thickness as the stock cast iron manifold and I still was lucky to see 2 years life out of the manifold gasket even using the stock Nissan part.

Apologies to anyone who may take this wrong. I doubt you will ever see this header shipped to the USA and if they do, when EPA gets wind of the cat elimination, they will go after the manufacturer (who will quickly go bankrupt) and the owners that had them shipped for intentionally violation of emissions laws, with subsequent fines ($2500 per offense).

regards
    mech
    They wont be taken down by the EPA, it's the customer's duty to install another cat on his OEM exhaust.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Epa is too stick in America cat has to be in factory location. The header and cat would have to be built together as they are on the 07-10 cobalt header.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    There are two catalytic converters in the Mirage, so installation of headers would eliminate the primary CAT. Emission test would be affected, but by how much?

Name:  JdDv3rW.jpg
Views: 2802
Size:  11.5 KB

It can be noted also that there is no flex pipe in the exhaust system. There are only two sets of spring bolts that gives some flex when the engine vibrates. The first set is between the exhaust manifold and the second set is between the two converters.

Thanks
    So there are two members here who think the manufacturer would go to the expense of installing an "extra and unnecessary" converter as well as another member who is a legal authority on US EPA actions and enforcement, who coincidentally does not live in the USA.

Good luck ordering hard emission control components from a country half way across the planet. My experience has been 100% fail.

Hope your's is better.

I'm done here.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)