Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 3A92 1.2L Mirage exhaust header by SuperCircuit

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by axeldsm1 View Post
    I can't wait should be in anyday I am going to dyno tune it before and after !!
    Did you get the header yet? Installed it?

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    Someone should just disconnect everything after the header. It would obviously be too loud but for a dyno pull or two it would answer a lot of questions.
    As nice as that sounds, doing a header only will actually cause issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1bXPNy1Yn4

This video, although a v8, it kinda shows you need some pipe after the header, running straight header is a no no imo. I mean, sure, you can run itbs which is basically no intake length, but they make little to no low end torque, but the top end flow is so amazing you get great peak numbers. This video is great for getting your foot in the door of the magical world of learning lol Come with me on a magically journey as you watch the video.

around 9 minutes is where they show a collector extension after the header, and how it increased torque on the low end over just running a header.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by namco View Post
    As nice as that sounds, doing a header only will actually cause issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1bXPNy1Yn4

This video, although a v8, it kinda shows you need some pipe after the header, running straight header is a no no imo. I mean, sure, you can run itbs which is basically no intake length, but they make little to no low end torque, but the top end flow is so amazing you get great peak numbers. This video is great for getting your foot in the door of the magical world of learning lol Come with me on a magically journey as you watch the video.

around 9 minutes is where they show a collector extension after the header, and how it increased torque on the low end over just running a header.
    Low, mid, high end torque depends on the length of the headers. Intake must be as opened up as well. More air in, more fuel, more air out. If you can't add all three of those things, then it is pointless. The ECU must also be able to handle the increased air and fuel or it wont work. More air means more fuel, higher flow fuel pump, larger injectors... ECU tune on a dyno... These aren't carbureted engines. You cant just cut off the pipe or put on a larger pod filter for increased performance.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-19-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I'm thinking that a header would have a negligible effect. The current exhaust I don't think is that restrictive because the engine is eager to spool up a bunch of rpm's and I've had it singing at 6000 rpm and has a nice tone. Most likely replacing the 2nd resonator with a straight pipe would give you a little more raspy tone with the same back pressure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    running straight header is a no no imo.
    Interesting opinion you have there. I've seen many cars at race tracks running open headers, both road course and drag strip.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Interesting opinion you have there. I've seen many cars at race tracks running open headers, both road course and drag strip.
    to be fair those cars are already making a ton of power, and those particular people probably don't care about a few points in the hp/tq numbers. if you watched the video i posted, it showed about 10-20 hp/tq gain and the engine was already making 600 ish. if you are making 600hp, 610hp isn't going to give you THAT much of an advantage on the 1/4 mile now is it? very few would do it for bragging rights and even fewer just to make 10 more poinkers.... also, just because a car is at the drag strip (or track) running open header, doesn't mean they know what the **** they are doing, or why its needed. I spend a lot of time on research, more than most self taught and self funded tuners. I've seen plenty of big block guys at the track bragging numbers, when I suggest a longer pipe for gains they just laugh at me. "open pipe is best". okay buddy, that's why i just posted a video that backs my claim up.... yet they would still argue im wrong. those type of people, never really go anywhere in life.

we don't have that luxury with our small displacement motor. Every gain we can get, we should do it (if we want to that is). And since we have a smaller motor, we would indeed gain even less than a larger displacement motor, meaning we would probably gain 2-8hp from a proper header with proper length than a larger motor like in the video. Every little gain helps in my world, so yeah, it matters for me.

also note, racing is littered with people who have more money than knowledge and skill. I can't count the number of times I have destroyed some guy who is "sponsored" at the track. and if you watch professional racing, you can literally count the mistakes they make lap to lap. its absolutely pathetic, so much so its hilarious. look at bucky lasek, his skill was skating. he gets some some money, and he just drops himself into rally even though that was never his focus point in life. and out of the blue he can do pretty well? now some would say "well hes just a great driver" but i remain on point, hes a ****ty driver with money, like the rest of them.

went a little far with my rant, but oh well. power is power. every little gain helps.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    to be fair those cars are already making a ton of power, and those particular people probably don't care about a few points in the hp/tq numbers.
    No, they were not. This was SCCA racing on a road course, mostly little four cylinders.

those type of people, never really go anywhere in life.
    Fascinating insight...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you go look up the top car vidbloggers with modified cars on youtube, none of them know what they are talking about. They pay to have their cars built and when it doesn't start, they have it towed 100+ miles back to the shop. I have rebuilt/repaired engines in cars, trucks, dirtbikes, boats, and snow mobiles growing up. All they need is Air/Fuel, Spark, and Compression. You can't add more air without more fuel and the ignition to back it up. You also have to keep compression in the target range. Without either of those three the engine won't work... It's not rocket science, but if you don't understand the basics, then you are just playing with your toys. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I just expect people in the field of cars to understand how they work
    Last edited by HitShane; 05-23-2016 at 07:46 AM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Has anyone actually installed the Supercircuit header yet? I think I might order one later this year. I thought the Stivo header had more of a long-tube design, but according to Rally Parts they're no longer available.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do they make a metal intake manifold as well? It would be nice to ditch the plastic one before it gets brittle and cracks.