Thread: Finally!! (Surpassed the 21 km/L rating for Malaysia)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks

Finally!! (Surpassed the 21 km/L rating for Malaysia)

I've hit above the claimed 21 km/l in Malaysia!!

On 5-26 I got 20.2 km/l on weekend drive.

And finally 5-28 netted me 22.1 km/l (52 MPG) over a 565 km drive (for work)! Yay!!

Now how do I get 30 km/l? =(

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Congratulations. As your engine wears in I'm sure your mileage will continue to increase. It'll also get better the more you get used to the car.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Congrats, polkiuj!!

Next goal, 30 km/L, eh? There are a few threads showing where journalists got numbers like that in economy run contests hosted by Mitsubishi, but it's not likely if you have to do city driving.

Keep the engine revs as low as you can, minimize use of the brake pedal - let off the accelerator early and coast as much as possible toward turns & stops. Keep your speed down on the open road/highway.

Make sure the tires are properly inflated. Minimize air conditioning if you can. (Easier to do in Canada than Malaysia!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    Thanks Metro!

Actually it's 25 km/l. Baby steps, haha!

Problem is, I've already done all that! Haha!

I used a "cruise control" (Gameboy wedged under the pedal) and travelled with 2000 rpm, ~90 km/h most of the way (some parts @ 2250 rpm, ~110 km/h as it was getting a bit late). Tires ~ 40+ psi. A/C @ 27/28 degrees.

Constant pedal readings (from OE gauge)
    Gameboy cartridge area towards front. Avg ~ 110 km/h, ~ 2250 rpm. 18.5 km/l.
    18.7 km/l with passanger mirror folded

Gameboy cartridge area towards back. Avg ~ 90 km/h, ~ 2250 rpm. 21.9 km/l with passanger mirror folded.

** FC goes down during particularly long downhill stretches where speed and rpm both picks up.
    Last edited by Polkiuj; 05-30-2013 at 01:34 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage (Malaysia) GS 1.2 automatic: 44.6 mpg (US) ... 19.0 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Polkiuj For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-30-2013)

Fun! Thanks for posting those speed vs. fuel consumption stats.

You've seen this graph, right?

From: Speed vs. mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd

So ...

- your CVT at 110 km/h = 18.5 km/L compared to 18.9 in the 5-speed test
    - your CVT at 90 km/h = 21.9 km/L compared to 22.7 in the 5-speed test

Your "constant throttle" technique is better than what a normal cruise control would do. But it's not quite as good as "driving with load" or "target driving" - where you let your speed bleed off on the way uphill -- backing slightly off the throttle as your speed falls, trying to maintain a steady instant km/L target. Then use gravity to regain your speed on the descent, and gradually feeding in more gas.

Of course this is not a useful technique if it holds up traffic!

As for going downhill, I'd investigate whether you can safely shift the CVT to neutral and coast, if it would permit you to maintain speed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    I'm planning to get a UG soon. Until then DWL is not really feasible. Cos I have no target Km/l available. Haha.

Mine was inclusive of getting up to speed so it's not really accurate as the manual. It's a total avg. i did not reset. I will update after my UG purchase.

I've been neutral coasting all this while. Please find out and tell me it's ok. Haha. I don't want a dead CVT.

Coasting: that's something I'd ask Mitsubishi. I'm sure it's OK to shift TO neutral; the question is whether it's OK to go back into gear at speed. Some automatic transmissions don't like that -- rough re-engagement, even if you rev-match the engine RPM to the road speed.

(If it were MY car, and if it consistently re-engages very smoothly, I'd do it.)

----

Doesn't the factory gauge have an "instant" fuel economy screen as well as the "average" screen? I thought it did. If it does, you could use that to target drive / DWL. But an UltraGauge or ScanGauge is worth the investment regardless!

Never mind - I see the factory gauge has no "instant" feature:

Unfortunately, there's no "instant" fuel economy display in the MID of the 1.2L cars - something that could help fine tune accelerator pedal pressure in real time to save fuel.
    from: Mirage factory fuel economy gauge: details (MID Multi Information Display)

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    =)

It re-engages smoothly with a blip of throttle. But it will go into "hill assist" mode for a few seconds. Spinning at higher RPM for few secs before shifting down to optimum cruising RPM. The effort to keep the RPM down for this mode will result in some angry honks or middle fingers... =D

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Polkiuj For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-31-2013)

Thanks for providing some real world tips about the CVT.

Admittedly, most drivers won't ever shift to N to coast, but I expect we'll get more than a few drivers who pick this car specifically for the fuel economy potential, and will want to throw every trick in the book at it.