Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break Job

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Break Job

Going to do a pad swap on the front breaks this weekend. Looks to be like any other pad change I have done but figured I would ask if there is anything I should be aware of before I do it?

Thanks all!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Make sure to lube the slide pins (with disc brake caliper lube...not regular grease). I disassembled my front brakes when my car was brand new and the slides had almost no lubricant on them.

I don't know how many miles you have, but you might want to pull your rear drums off just to have a look at the brake shoes. The brake shoes on these cars do not have a lot of friction material on them...so you want to catch them before they wear down completely. You don't want to have to replace drums on these cars. It can get expensive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Make sure to lube the slide pins (with disc brake caliper lube...not regular grease). I disassembled my front brakes when my car was brand new and the slides had almost no lubricant on them.

I don't know how many miles you have, but you might want to pull your rear drums off just to have a look at the brake shoes. The brake shoes on these cars do not have a lot of friction material on them...so you want to catch them before they wear down completely. You don't want to have to replace drums on these cars. It can get expensive.
    This. My rear drums replacement costed 650 total but luckily my shop I go to runs an honest shop and went with their original quote $300, they assumed the aftermarket parts they ordered would fit, they didnt. This is a major issue for owners. The big parts suppliers have matching full drums sets listed but in actuality, Mitsubishi purposely altered their oem product just ever so slightly, to fit on correctly. Pushing owners back into Mitsu service centers to pay 40 to 60% markups.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Good news the rear drums should be replaced at long intervals as they're not stressed heavily as a parking brake or in actual braking as the front pads do 80% or so of the work. This was all according to conversation between the shop owner and myself. I deeply trust the 80 year old man with 60 years of experiance. Unless you developed a random issue or premature shoe wear, I'd venture to just replace them every 80 or 90k miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good to know. Ill take a look at the rear pads. Talked to me deal at my last service and per the tech the front pads were getting low. Figured I would get them swapped out before its cold and snows.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Make sure to lube the slide pins (with disc brake caliper lube...not regular grease).
    I had to learn this lesson the hard way with my S10. I have a huge jar of caliper lube.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Good news the rear drums should be replaced at long intervals as they're not stressed heavily as a parking brake or in actual braking as the front pads do 80% or so of the work. This was all according to conversation between the shop owner and myself. I deeply trust the 80 year old man with 60 years of experiance. Unless you developed a random issue or premature shoe wear, I'd venture to just replace them every 80 or 90k miles.
    Good news, rear drums for a 2017 and newer mirage are $38 with the wheel bearing. Do not buy from the dealer unless you **** money. Aftermarket mfg did not have the proper interchange for rear brakes previously, there was a long thread about this comparing part numbers on rock auto against a mitsu parts site. It seems things should be fine now. 2017 and newer are different from 2015 and older. So if you need a rear wheel bearing consider just replacing the entire drum https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ke+&+wheel+hub
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Good news, rear drums for a 2017 and newer mirage are $38 with the wheel bearing.
    Damn...I knew RockAuto had them but I didn't know they were only $38!?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

But.....if you own a 2015/2014 they want $100 a piece from mfg I've never heard of and only seen on rockauto. More reason to buy a 17+ I guess? Except for front bumper pricing, piecing one of those together can easily write off a car.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

fc321 (10-04-2020),Top_Fuel (10-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    But.....if you own a 2015/2014 they want $100 a piece from mfg I've never heard of...
    I didn't realize that. That's really strange...

Name:  drums.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  88.4 KB