Thread: Cold air intake

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cold air intake

Looking for a cold air intake, I've seen few pictures on Google and found couple videos that show the intake. But I cannot find one to purchase online.. Anyone have any links or websites they know that sells a cold air intake? Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site NotoriousJT.

There is no off the shelf cold air intake. You have to build it yourself. We do have one listed in our DIY & modifications list:

DIY Intake

And, if you don't want to hack up your OEM airbox, get yourself a MAF sensor housing here: For Sale: MAF sensor housings for custom intakes
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As Daox said, there are a few different DIY ways to go about it. I did mine ala Cani Lupine: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-custom-intake

Shortly after, I installed a SuperCircuit 3-1 header. I was getting heat soak from the "un-wrapped" headers due to the lack of a heat shield. So having the hot air rolling up from the exhaust right up to where the intake exchange is, was stifling performance. I decided to re-locate the filter down the front of the block, to the lower air dam (beside the radiator core). I placed my mine behind the condenser coil, on the top of the skid plate (absolute bottom). This position provides the air filter the most "cool" air it can get. It is a very tight fit btw.

Heres the initial setup I had:
    Name:  20171024_190623.jpg
Views: 5734
Size:  94.1 KB

Heres the "cold-air" setup now:
    Name:  20180504_140851_Film1.jpg
Views: 4211
Size:  100.2 KB

Heres the location "above" the coil, I later re-positioned it behind the coil.
    Name:  20180504_140918_Film1.jpg
Views: 4010
Size:  105.1 KB

Here are the parts I used:
    K & N Filter/RU-4870
    Daox Custom MAF Sensor Housing/MAF01
    Upgr8 Silicone Reducers/U8902-6376-04/U8902-5176-04
    Spectre 3" adjustable air intake hose/SPE-8741

A word of caution though. If you happen to run through flooded areas, you run risk of hydro-lock. To bypass this issue, i used some zip ties and some velcro straps. That way I can pull the filter up and strap it down during heavy rain periods. You could just as easily use bungee straps or some other method to secure the filter.

This did wonders freeing up throttle response and added some smoothness to the rpm range. If you are looking for performance gains, this mod will make a noticeable difference on our platform.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qrush View Post
    This did wonders freeing up throttle response and added some smoothness to the rpm range. If you are looking for performance gains, this mod will make a noticeable difference on our platform.
    Any numbers before & after the modification? Some hard data would be helpful.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)