Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
Lets ASS-UME their diagnosis is correct. With an engine running perfectly, the only rational explanation of which I know is the contamination accumulated on the intake valve stems and the engine cooled overnight that same accumulation cooled and congealed into a kind of plastic type of material that would not allow the valves to close completely when you tried to restart the car next morning.

This makes sense, but there would be one piece of evidence. The engine would crank over faster than normal, just like an engine will when you remove the spark plugs and there is no compression.

If the repair shop is familiar with these symptoms then there must be a lot of bad gas sold at stations near that shop. Never heard of it happening in the US, from personal experience, with a single exception posted previously.

Based on the belief that you're description of the problem is perfectly accurate.

I know of no other possible cause. That's after over 30 years working on cars, with a single example of virtually identical symptoms.

How could the engine run perfectly then loose compression on every cylinder?

I'll follow this thread carefully, maybe learn something new.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DRIVE THE CAR ON THE "FUEL" IN THE TANK OR YOU RISK HAVING THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPEN AGAIN AND I DOUBT SERIOUSLY WORK WOULD BE DONE AGAIN UNDER WARRANTY.

regards
mech
Any chances someone likes OP and dumped a cup of sugar into tank?

Here is a quote on TopTier gas from GM engineer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Ti...rgent_Gasoline
While General Motors' fuels engineer Andrew Buczynsky states that no one has identified the exact molecule in gasoline that causes engine buildup, he asserts that consistent use of Top Tier Detergent Gasoline will keep engines cleaner.[4] Engine gunk typically builds up in fuel injectors and intake valves, causing reduced fuel efficiency, acceleration, and power, as well as increasing emissions, rough idling, tendency to stall, and increased motor repairs
TT requirements:
In order to be certified as Top Tier, a gasoline must pass a series of performance tests that demonstrate specified levels of: 1) deposit control on intake valves; 2) deposit control on fuel injectors; 3) deposit control on combustion chambers; 4) prevention of intake-valve sticking
I suspect the reason we don't see it in US this is unlikely due to %10 alcohol mandate.