Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Developing a short shifter

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey how much would it cost for you to make one for me? I've been looking to get a quicker feeling shift in my mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    This past weekend I got together with Spork and we installed the short shifter on her car. It went quite smooth and wasn't a difficult procedure. You can see the full write up on how to do the install here:

DIY short shifter installation

As for feedback on it, I got a brief drive before hand and afterwards. It definitely was not nearly enough to get used to things. Spork has only had the car for a couple weeks now too. She can add her thoughts if she wishes. She went into this not expecting to keep the shifter, but decided to give it a try knowing we can swap the old one back in if she wants. Also, this is on a brand new Mirage with less than 1k miles on the odometer, so everything was still getting broken in.

Personally, I thought the stock throw distance wasn't too bad at all. Its definitely shorter than the Chevy Metro I daily drive. I like the bit of notchy-ness in the action. It gives you a positive feel to know what gear you're in and what you're going into. The Metro's shifter is more vague and I'm not a fan of that.

The short shifter enhances the notchy-ness a bit more. It takes a tiny bit more effort to shift, but not bad at all IMO. The new throw is quite short. I think a 40% reduction is a bit much, others may love it. I would probably back it down to ~30% reduction if I were to make one for myself. For example, when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd I knew I had gone to 3rd, but I couldn't totally feel the shifter move over as much as I'd like to. Thus, it lost some of the positive feel there. I have no doubt that I'd get totally used to it, just keep in mind I'm coming from the Metro. I didn't try to jam through the gears as it was a brand new car. The short throw really does give you the feel that you're shifting faster. It seems like a flick of the wrist gets you to your next gear which I do definitely like.
    How much do you sell your short shifter, I'm quite interested on it. I'm from the Philippines, would you know also how much it will cost to ship here? TIA

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by maxjetz View Post
    How much do you sell your short shifter, I'm quite interested on it. I'm from the Philippines, would you know also how much it will cost to ship here? TIA
    I'm also interested on your mods, is it possible to order in at least 5 pieces.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    At this point I have no interest in making a bunch of these things. However, the process really isn't that complicated. All you need to do is find yourself someone to weld things up for you. You'll also need a 10mm ID push nut to replace the one you'll have to cut to get things apart.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

kianmiranda (10-12-2020)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Dont know if i can post in this thread but since its related to shifter thats why i posted it here.

Can anyone tell what shifter was used in the video by looking at it?

heres a screenshot of what was used

Name:  shifter.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  95.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)