Thread: Developing a short shifter

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Developing a short shifter

I alluded to it in my new years Mirage resolutions, but I am developing a short shifter for the Mirage. This is also one of the mods requested in the what aftermarket parts would you buy? poll. So, lets get down to business eh?

Not long ago, I nabbed a shifter assembly from a wrecker so I had something to work with.

Name:  shifter1.jpg
Views: 3707
Size:  41.5 KB

The assembly is not easy to tear apart. I had to get my grinder out to cut off some of the hardware. It will have to be replaced when it gets reassembled. Anyway, I was able to get the shifter shaft removed from the assembly. It is an interesting setup. The ball seems to be made of a plastic that is bonded to the steel, so we can't move it. However, we can cut and weld the metal which is the plan. So, what I am planning (and have done on other vehicles before) is cut a section out of the top of the shaft, and then weld the top back together. After that, I cut the bottom of the shaft and weld the piece from the top in it.

Name:  shifter2.jpg
Views: 3361
Size:  25.5 KB

But, I have a problem... I don't have a Mirage to test it on. So, I'm looking for volunteers who would be willing to help me. I'll need you to remove the trim around your shifter and take some measurements so I know how much we can extend the lower part of the shaft before it hits the chassis along with a few other things.

Do I have any volunteers?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-06-2016)